Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Parent requesting extended hours

I have a parent looking for extended hours. They are looking for 1-6/7. What would you charge!? It's a 2 year old.

Outgoing
    I would personally never take a child who would arrive at the beginning or middle of nap time.

For 6 or 7 hours, charge your full day rate. If you use a contract, (IMO you should) then specify the exact drop-off and pick-up times. If you leave it vague then you may have problems with late pick-up or early drop-off. So, for example, Mondays 1pm to 6pm, Tuesdays 1pm to 7pm, etc. Or... every 1pm to 7pm. That way, if they pick-up at 6pm, well, bonus.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Even if I would only be serving 1 meal and 1 snack instead of 2 snacks and 2 meals?

Shy
    Makes sense. Thank you all. So I wont feel guilty Monday during the interview when I say it will be full fees.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesprouts View Post
    Even if I would only be serving 1 meal and 1 snack instead of 2 snacks and 2 meals?
    Yes. It not about them having same amount hours other client who come 7am has or about them receiving equal or less amount food. It about you extending your day to accommodate them and being fairly compensate for it.

Working until 7pm affect what you and family able do in evening. It mean less family time. And it come at cost.

I think of my normal business hours and meal provided as my basic service. If someone want upgrade of longer hour, more flexibility, different meal, then, if I willing to do that, there is cost.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    They are taking up a full day's spot AND making you work over time (every day) they need to pay your normal daily rate plus extra for the time after you close.

I would also caution you about taking a 2 yr old at the start of nap time. Any 2yr old starting is potentially a problem with nap (depending on what they are used to) but to arrive at your house as the others are going down and being expected to just go to sleep will potentially take a LOT of time and effort on your part. You run the risk of them keeping all other kids up for days or weeks until they learn the expectations.

If you proceed, in the very least, make sure they sign on knowing this is a trial period and the child needs to not only quickly settle in without disruption to the other children but the child needs to self entertain with little direction from you after the daycare closes while you do supper prep and evening routines etc.

Euphoric !
    I'd charge my normal fee plus maybe an extra $20 for the 2 hours? I'd also ask if they'd consider sending for noon.

Expansive...
    yes 5LM I like the noon idea too as it is before the children go for nap , or you could try 1pm for a bit and see if it works for you but if it wakes up the children then change the drop- off time to noon

Expansive...
    I would never start a new client doing "special accomodations" for them. Somehow it seems as time goes on, they will expect that they are entitled to have you bend the rules just for them. It takes a lot of time away from your own family in the evening. I find if you start off "giving them an inch, they'll take a mile" If you do it, I'd charge an extra $40 at least, plus full day fees. I'd charge them based on your full day rate plus late fees.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    First question - Do you really want be working until 7pm ?
    Second question - How big impact does that have? Not daily but do you have summer time commitment with baseball or Guides or activity for own children at time because they normally before 7pm.
    Third question - If have own children, what time they go bed? Lot younger children have 7pm bedtime. How will own children feel if all their family evening time share with client child.
    Fourth question - How will you partner feel having extra child during family time? Very different if he come home end of day and it short time before last daycare children leave to having extra child in home all time.
    Fifth question - If client child does have impact on own activities, what is the value of that time? You not get that time back, ever. So price to charge might seem expensive for parent but you willing sell your family evenings for $20 a day/$100 a week?

It not about fair price for same number hours other client get, it about fair compensation for losing family time, ability go out for supper, spend valuable time with own children when small, having bedtime routine for own children of supper, bath, story, bed without spare child impacting on bonding, it about having evening time with partner to catch up each other end of day.