Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disabilities

Shy

Disabilities

I am wondering if any childcare providers would charge extra for children with severe disabilities.

Euphoric !
    I think the main thing that needs to be factored in is whether you can take a child with severe disabilities and still remain at full capacity. In home daycare is hard because we get NO support/help/relief. Can you manage all day with a needy group of infants/toddlers with a child that needs more than the normal amount of care?

If you think you can then I don't think I would charge more but if I had to have less children overall to meet everyone's needs then I would have to look at charging more to make up for the lowered income.

What do you consider 'severe'? A child with down syndrome or high functioning autism can usually be easily integrated with just a bit of extra prompting/care. A child with little to no mobility, no way to communicate (expressive and receptive), requiring daily medical care (machines, medicines, therapy, stretches etc) will require a great deal of time and energy making it really hard for one person to care for 5 children.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Shy
    A 3 year old with cerebral palsy. He is not walking and in diapers.
    Thank you

Outgoing
    In Manitoba, I believe the child takes up two spots, and the province would pay me for the extra spot.