Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Sick Child gets okay from Doctor to attend

My policies form states if child too ill to attend daycare must be picked up.... Parents texts child had chest x ray and oxygen checked yesterday and hospital says just bad cold and ok to attebd daycare... Child crying here and imo is sick. How do i go against doctor opinion?
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 02-17-2016 at 08:15 AM.

My policy is that I can over turn a dr's note if I choose too. If the child isn't up to joining in all that is going on in the daycare, they are not able to attend. It doesn't matter what a dr. says. Its my business so my rules. If you feel the child isn't ready to join in, than overturn the note and tell them their child will have to stay home.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes, despite the note, my policy says the child must be able to do all of the regular indoor&outdoor activities. If the child is mildly ill and also is crying inconsolably or lethargic or refusing to eat or drink, I can exclude as well. I can't do one to one care when there are 4 other kids to attend to. It's your business, and your call.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Maybe its just me… but… if my you child was sick enough to require a chest xray they are sick enough to be home. A cold is a cough and runny nose but generally well enough to partake in activities. Chest xrays are not part of a cold. .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have in my contract that I determine if a child too sick to be here. They expected be able participate fully in day without them crying, being distressed or clingy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The dr doesn't run your daycare you do .... If they can not participate or if they require more care then hi are able to provide with out neglecting the others then they need to be at home

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    So child (2.5yr) was back today and generally okay participating in group but a few times he would have these severe hacking cough attacks; seemed like he was having an asthma attack (he doesn't have asthma). Can colds give the impression of an asthma attack and is it dangerous? He basically coughs till he's red/purple in the face, and painstakingly sucks in a breath because he just can't catch one and sounds like sucking thru a straw, and continues to cough for several minutes barely being able to breathe and clearing out phlem. During this time, i'm not breathing either from fright. Then it's over, he lays flat on floor from exhaustion for a while, and then and he's off playing again.
    Should I ask mom to get a puffer for these episodes? or should he not be here at all? I've been doing daycare for a long time with lots of coughing kids, but this one looks like he's gonna keel every time he has an attack.... thanks bunches

yup no no way. I have had a child pass out and smack their head on my coffee table. Never again. I would just explain to the parents that it is clear he can not keep up with out door play time. Take a video of the coughing attack, text it to the parents.
    In my case they said I was exaggerating the coughing fits. On the second day just after drp off i got the video, sent it. 30 minutes later the child passed out and hit their head. Parents picked up took them to the hospital. 4 hours later I got a knock on the door , and there are 2 police officers asking what happened that they suspected abuse. I showed them the video and the text messages. While they were having tea playing with the daycare kids and I, they got a call saying the child o2 levels were very low, and very likely what was causing the passing out, turned out they had ammonia(?).
    And that is why I firmly believe in document everything, COVER YOUR ASS, in every instance no matter how silly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    So child (2.5yr) was back today and generally okay participating in group but a few times he would have these severe hacking cough attacks; seemed like he was having an asthma attack (he doesn't have asthma). Can colds give the impression of an asthma attack and is it dangerous? He basically coughs till he's red/purple in the face, and painstakingly sucks in a breath because he just can't catch one and sounds like sucking thru a straw, and continues to cough for several minutes barely being able to breathe and clearing out phlem. During this time, i'm not breathing either from fright. Then it's over, he lays flat on floor from exhaustion for a while, and then and he's off playing again.
    Should I ask mom to get a puffer for these episodes? or should he not be here at all? I've been doing daycare for a long time with lots of coughing kids, but this one looks like he's gonna keel every time he has an attack.... thanks bunches
    Yes, anyone can develop asthma at any age. To me, this sounds like viral induced asthma or pneumonia.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowmom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
    Yes, anyone can develop asthma at any age. To me, this sounds like viral induced asthma or pneumonia.
    Oh thanks, i googled viral induced asthma and it's exactly this. Ill send link to the mom. I just wish parents would research stuff like this for their own child instead of providor. She says he doesnt cough like this at home. Perhaps he's more active here.