Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    So child (2.5yr) was back today and generally okay participating in group but a few times he would have these severe hacking cough attacks; seemed like he was having an asthma attack (he doesn't have asthma). Can colds give the impression of an asthma attack and is it dangerous? He basically coughs till he's red/purple in the face, and painstakingly sucks in a breath because he just can't catch one and sounds like sucking thru a straw, and continues to cough for several minutes barely being able to breathe and clearing out phlem. During this time, i'm not breathing either from fright. Then it's over, he lays flat on floor from exhaustion for a while, and then and he's off playing again.
    Should I ask mom to get a puffer for these episodes? or should he not be here at all? I've been doing daycare for a long time with lots of coughing kids, but this one looks like he's gonna keel every time he has an attack.... thanks bunches
    He could have pneumonia or RSV ....can you video tape him when he does this and show the mom and ask if hes doing this at home .....

Is he up to date on his vaccinations ? Maybe it's whopping cough or could be coupe. I'd call mom for pick up and tape his coughing attacks to show Mom and Dr.

Euphoric !
    My nephew is perfectly healthy (20months) but 3x now he has gotten a cold and has needed puffers and all sorts of meds because he quickly develops pneumonia.

He did get a chest xray, which should have ruled out this though. But perhaps it has progressed. I would film it. At pick up pull them aside and say you are concerned, you filmed one of his episodes so they can see what you are observing, he may be more active here so they are not seeing the same thing. Do it in a concerned, proactive manner not a "I told you he has a problem" kinda tone so they don't feel like you think they are sucking as parents! There is a good chance at home he is on the couch watching tv so isn't as bad.