Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Holding spots-WWYD?

I have a bit of an awkward situation regarding an upcoming spot for a child under 2 years(summer 2016) I had a really awesome family leave at Xmas(mom is on mat leave with child#3-she did keep her preschooler in with me for 5 mos of mat leave-child heads to kindie in sept) When she left, she asked me to keep her in the loop regarding spots for the summer for the baby. She emailed again a few weeks ago, and I told her I had a short term client leaving close to the summer, so probably the timing would line up. I must say they were the most amazing family I've ever had, and I have taken care of the 2 older ones. So basically, when I interviewed, I did it to keep the great family in mind so that the timing would be perfect. I found a family to fill the spot for 6 months(under 2 years) and we had a very specific end date written on the contract(school board employee). The temporary family now wants to keep the spot. Of course since it's an "under 2 years" spot(ontario) it is in high demand.
    I would love for the original family to come back, and they are more than willing to give me a deposit cheque now.
    If you had a specific end date, and someone wanted to change it, what would you
    do? I have a wait list also for that summer spot, and have been interviewing based on their expected departure. Help???
    Is it wrong to take the deposit from the great family, and if I do, at what point do I tell the temporary family that the spot is not available?

Yes u can take the deposit and should if new/old awesome family will be coming back with kid #3. Pick whichever family U'd prefer to have that spot. In this business GOOD family and parents are HARD to come by so if u say u found one and watched already two kids for them if it were me I'd go,with them. Let new family know whenever. I'd say soon so they can find other summer care and just say unfortunately the spot won't be available after your end date as its already full. If u give to much notice they may leave and then leave u empty from now till summer so be prepared.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thanks, they don't need summer care due to school board employee, so they will have 2 months to look around. Not sure how to tactfully tell them they can't keep the spot. (ie another family is a better fit than you LOL)

Euphoric !
    Just tell them like homeschool mom said that you filled the spot based on their end date. If another spot becomes available, you'll let them know.

Who is in your other under 2 spot? Are they almost 2? Do you suspect they may leave for a centre? You could always check in with the other family as well. I always tried to be super transparent with my DC families and as a result they have been with me. I had this situation pop up before and found my other infant was on the list of her work DC and when I asked them they followed up with the DC and found that her name was coming up in month. I didn't want to get rid of them but I am glad I checked as I would have given notice to the other family only to be given notice a couple weeks later by the other family.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    You don't have to tell them you'd prefer the other family Tell them the other part of the truth, that because they had given you an end date, you had made the spot available to another family after that date.
    Exactly this! You don't need to give any other detail. After the end date, the spot isn't theirs and there's nothing to feel guilty about

Euphoric !
    You say these "most amazing family ever had." For me, that would be enough.

Child currently in place knew when sign they had temp place with firm end date. It nice they want remain longer but they knew from get go that might not be possible.

I would take family who I had history with, who I knew better on personal level, who respected me and my home and although this temp family might also be great, you not use same terms to explain your professional relationship with them.

It would be different if you were terming the temp family and if they had thought they were in a long term place, but you aren't. Their contact have fixed end date which line up with your best client ever. I would take the favourite client and let temp client know that their place is filled but if another vacancy come it, you'd love have them stay and will give first refusal of spot.

Expansive...
    Thanks all! My gut said what you all said. I'd like the other family back, and the contract has a specific end date. How soon should I tell them that the spot may not be available?

Euphoric !
    A temp spot with an end date is a temp spot with an end date. Let them know that unfortunately when they took the spot it had a set end date to allow a family to resume care with their newest child.

Since you do not have another spot opening you can not accommodate their child past their current end date, unless a change takes place prior to then (a different family leaves care).

I would not turn up a perfect family returning for a child that had a set end date and doesn't require care year round. Unfortunately this teacher family has learned that despite their having summers off they cannot expect daycare to accommodate their not needing care 2 months of the year. They would have been best not to set that end date when they signed on with you. If they continue to set that end date they will likely find they need new care every fall.

Get the deposit from the returning family before confirming that the current family's end date is the last date of care with you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Yes. Just say after we made your end date final I filled the spot to start after you leave so it's no longer available for you to stay on longer.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    Thanks all! My gut said what you all said. I'd like the other family back, and the contract has a specific end date. How soon should I tell them that the spot may not be available?
    Since they asking, I would tell them now. Otherwise, it look weak down line and look like you knew they wanted place, ignored their request and only got replacement after they said they want stay. If I was that family, I'd wonder why you did that since we asked to stay long time before you tell me place already filled.

Get contract and deposit from preferred client soon and tell temp family ASAP since they already now asked to stay.

If they hadn't asked, would be different because as far as you know, they going at end date but you aware they want stay.