Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balance...

Balance...

So it's official, I'm a full time student and a daycare provider!

I have 3 kids signed up, one was with me previously. That particular child's daycare provider closed her daycare unexpectedly so since last week I started caring for her the two days a week I'm not in class and mom has managed to change her shifts until I can take her full time at the beginning of April when I've finished exams.

I can't imagine that I will ever be at capacity again with the new bill 10 restrictions, but I have 2 1 year olds and a nearly 3 year old which is still a huge financial improvement. I've passed on the idea of summer school this year so I'm able to transition nicely, oh and read a book for fun

Anyway that's my morning post, now I'm off for a not so fun 2 hour commute to Toronto for exam study group and a day of classes.

Happy Monday everyone!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I bet it is nice to have money again and not be a poor student
    Good Luck with the Exams
    ......and the commute

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    I bet it is nice to have money again and not be a poor student
    Good Luck with the Exams
    ......and the commute
    Honestly Van, the money has been the biggest issue. Everything comes at a price so the commute time, the studying etc are just par for the course. It's when I lose 8 roof tiles over the weekend and can't afford to get them repaired, my daughter needs to get a tutor, my son has been offered admission to a gifted summer camp at Yale or Princeton, etc, etc Some things we need, some things we don't and we have really managed well considering, but we can't manage like this long term. In September I'll be taking 3 classes, and an additional 2 over summer to stay on a full time schedule and progress the same, maybe all online or maybe 1 as a visiting student in the evening at a university campus close by to stay somewhat accountable and socially connected. My major is a very rare specialty only offered at three universities in the province all about 60km away so it's not a case of simply transferring. When it's time to do my masters, both my kids will have graduated high school so perhaps then we will downsize so that living on one wage is more manageable and perhaps even move closer to campus...who knows.

For now I have structured my daycare day a little differently to be able to offer a fruitful and exciting day for the children without the need to spend much time outside of daycare hours prepping. I will need the majority of the weeks naptimes to study with evenings and weekends as back up for "those days". I obviously need family time too. I'm also being much pickier with daycare families, although over two years are rare enquiries so I likely won't have the luxury of pickiness in those cases. I wouldn't actually be surprised if I don't actually fill those spots until the now 1 year olds turn 2 in a year and I can fill with infants again. That's fine though...

Thanks for entertaining my offloading