Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Serious dilemma!!!

I really need some advice here as I am not sure what to do...

I currently have 2 siblings in my care which I have had since september.
    When I made a deal with the parents they told me 4 days a week (for these clients as I had just gotten started I told them they only pay for the days children come) turns out the children really only come 3-2 days only on very rare occasion have they come 4 days of the week. I am a little frustrated with the situation to be honest because she usually doesn't tell me until the night before they wont come and days vary though out the week that they don't show up, I can't get a part time client to fill the spot as there are no set days they will or wont be here. I feel bad for the parents, very nice people but I am not happy with the lack of attendance (I do understand its partially my fault for setting it up this way but I was a beginner, wasn't sure and wanted to be nice. now for all my clients the system is different, I learned)
    I have considered terminating them due to this but never did as I said because I feel bad for the parents, they have told me how much they like what I do with their children and are happy that they have me for a care provider many times.

Now I know a lady that is searching for care for her child starting soon and she has expressed how hard it has been to find someone to have her child and would like me to do it. I told her if I had room I would take the child but I just can't at the moment because I am at maximum numbers now. I would charge for days booked in advance for this new one.

So my dilemma is: do I terminate the others to get this new one? If the siblings come 3 days of the week I get all the money plus $20 that I would have to work all week with the other child to make. If the siblings don't come I lose money...

What would you do?

Euphoric !
    You need to tell the current family that you can no longer take the cut in pay and that as of XX date you will require they pay for the 4 days a week that they committed to or they will need to consider this notice a notice of termination.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Get firm with current client. I great they love your care but their gratitude not pay your bills. Mortgage company not okay with positive review, they want cold, hard cash.

Explain client that when you said they not have pay if not come, you were intending that to be for genuine sickness or maybe annual vacation and never expected it to be used weekly. Their low attendance is losing you income.

Tell them straight that this not able to continue esp where they taking two place. They need decide:-

1. Do they need the 4 days they promised or not.
    2. If they only need 1 or 2 or sometimes 2, then you're sorry but that not paying your bills and you have to term to take FT client.
    3. If you want keep them, they need sign 4 days firm commitment on current policies.

You running business not charity.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Same as Lee-Bee said I'd do. Just tell sibling family that due to finances they will have to commit to 4 days a wk. they don't need to use or come all 4 days but all 4 days will be paid. Say, If this is not doable for you then I will have to term and fill with another family that can commit.

Euphoric !
    Agree with lee bee and Suzy. Take in the client that will give you the most income and fit your schedule the best

Expansive...
    Yes, make them pay for 4 days/week, and they must be set days. No moving the days around as they like, as that could equate to a full time spot. Keep interviewing anyway, as they may choose to leave. Make the new family pick set days(if not full time) and ask for payment 2 weeks in advance. I bill parents on the 1st and 15th of every month, and get 6 months of post dated cheques up front.

Expansive...
    you just made a rookie mistake now you know and need to have the talk with them as you got good advice above ....go for the new client with no problems of moving days

Shy
    Sorry for taking so long to reply! well, before getting firm with her, I would like to have someone else ready to fill at least one of the spots, this other lady that I had ready to go ended up finding a family member to watch her child, so I am now in the process of interviews trying to find someone else.

On march break she said she needed me 4 days of the week for sure, march break rolls around the kids only come 2 days out of the 4 days booked, 1 she cancelled the morning of 5 MINS BEFORE DROP OFF and the other day from the night before
    needless to say I AM DONE WITH IT, every week its the same story, last week she said she needed monday and I just got a message NOW saying they aren't coming tomorrow... I could rant forever....

I did mention after the march break incident in a sincere email about how it effects me but I didn't mention minimum day payment as I know in my gut the moment I mention the minimum day payments they will no longer bring the children. I got an apology but I am tired of apologies...

Anyway, wish me luck, I need it, this has been going on since october 2015 with often parents saying they are sorry for the lack of attendance and oh its temporary but I can see its not and I'm tired and that's that.