Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Help...newby daycare provider needs advice.

Hey there,

I am new to this forum and a fairly new daycare provider (started in Aug. 2015). My mom and I run a group home daycare with 11 kids per day.
    We are looking to other daycare providers for some advice.

First we have a child who is turning 4, he is very behind developmentally (doesn't talk, doesn't participate in any activities, etc.). All he knows how to do is roar. He constantly hits, kicks, pulls hair, pinches, etc. He only comes for a few hours twice a week. He is still in pull ups as he still poops and pees in his pants. His parents treat him like an infant. We have tried talking to them on many occasions but this does not help. We have now had him for 6 months with no change.

Second we have a child who is 4. She poops on average 8-10 times a day as she is on a laxative that her parents give her as their pediatrician advised this. She has a tantrum every time she has to go to the bathroom and poops in her pants half the time on purpose. The parents said it's a behavior thing. We have tried to be patient and work with her but we are quite frustrated. The mom gets emotional when we try and address our concerns and frustration.

Third we have a child who has major behavior issues. He is 2 1/2. Daily tantrums that include spitting, hitting, kicking, biting, pinching, pulling hair, etc. We have tried so many different reward systems, time outs, etc. but it doesn't work. He also poops in his pants daily and has now started peeing everywhere and thinks it's funny. We have tried to talk to his parents many times and nothing changes.

All of the children above we have had now for 6-7 months. We are trying to be patient and work with the kids and parents but have come close to quitting a few times due to frustration. We are both new to daycare and we are looking to others with experience as to any advice. Would you terminate? Try something else?

Help please.

Thank you!
    Dawn

Euphoric !
    Are you legally permitted to have 11 kids? To my knowledge most provinces limit the number of children in home daycares per roof, not per adult. In Ontario you are limited to 5 children per house no matter how many adults you have working in it. Where are you located? Just be warned the fines for having more than 5 children in Ontario are now $250,000

As the daycare provider I would be inquiring as to why a 4 yr old is on a laxative. It sounds like the child is pooping way more than normal so it isn't an issue with constipation. Do you know the child's medical history? How is their child's appetite and weight?

As for the almost 4 year old boy, what does he do the rest of the week? Is he at home or is he receiving supports elsewhere. There are some major red flags here and he should be receiving outside supports to not only diagnose him but to have a plan in place to help him advance. What are his plans for school in the fall?

Euphoric !
    what province are you in?

Euphoric !
    Do you know that additional help (adults) does NOT mean double the children? The regs change by province but no province allows 11 kids! It's a limit per dayhome not per adult in the home.

Shy
    Hi there,

Yes I am very aware of the licensed number of children. We are classified as a group home daycare in Manitoba where you are permitted to have up to 12 children including your own with 2 adults. We have met all regulations and are able to have 11 children. If you look at the Manitoba Child Care Government page you will find this classification. Again, yes I am absolutely aware and permitted!
    Last edited by Buggaboo; 03-03-2016 at 01:04 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Buggaboo For This Useful Post:

Do what's right for you and your group. If these three kids are to much trouble and taking away attention from the other kids in the group then I would term them and replace them with better kids that fit the group. U want to be able to enjoy your job and u don't have to feel obligated to keep children that are not behaving.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Welcome!! I'm also in Manitoba

1. His age isn't uncommon to still be in pull-ups but his behaviour is not acceptable. If you can, I'd ask they increase his hours actually. A few hours twice a week is too hard to transition IMO. If that's not possible, I'd consider terminating just due to the fact that he hasn't transitioned yet. If you keep him, I'd have a talk with the parents and I'd have a disciplinary action in place. If he does xxx, this will be the consequence. If the parents aren't on board and willing to work on his behaviour at home than I'd ask them to find another dcp.

2. That is a lot of bm's in one day!! Is that healthy?? Is wearing a pull up an option? Did she have tantrums over bm's prior to the laxative?

3. Same as above, I'd have a disciplinary talk with his parents. Also, at that young age, I'd ask he is in diapers again as he clearly isn't ready.

How is daycare in your town/city? Are you able to terminate and look for children/families that are a better fit? This job is a fun and very enjoyable one but we have to have the right clients for us. The advantage to being our own boss is that we can change these situations most of the time.

Good luck!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Do you know that additional help (adults) does NOT mean double the children? The regs change by province but no province allows 11 kids! It's a limit per dayhome not per adult in the home.
    http://www.gov.mb.ca/fs/childcare/fa..._childcare/#a4

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggaboo View Post
    Hi there,

Yes I am very aware of the licensed number of children. We are classified as a group home daycare in Manitoba where you are permitted to have up to 12 children including your own with 2 adults. We have met all regulations and are able to have 11 children. If you look at the Manitoba Child Care Government page you will find this classification. Again, yes I am absolutely aware and permitted!
    Hi! I'm also in manitoba. I've looked into the group childcare, I would like to do it, but it's so hard to find another adult that I want to work with and rely on every day. Good for you guys!
    As far as your situation, I agree with 5LM, my advice is the same as hers.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you 5 Little Monkeys for the advice and the added link! Much appreciated. I realize that other provinces may not permit group home daycares however Manitoba does. This was a more suitable option for us.

I appreciate the advice you offered and agree. I will put together a disciplinary action plan to further discuss with these parents as a last step.

The laxative I don't agree with however yes she has always had tantrums. I have tried to do a lot of research with regards to this and I feel like I am out of options.

Daycare is going well and much in demand, we have quite a wait list as there is very limited spaces available within Winnipeg and rural surrounding towns.
    There are so many aspects of this job I enjoy and appreciate your note, "This job is a fun and very enjoyable one but we have to have the right clients for us. The advantage to being our own boss is that we can change these situations most of the time."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Buggaboo For This Useful Post: