Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Wait lists and interviews...

Do you interview families in order of who contacted you first, or do you just interview everyone on your list to find the best match for you and your daycare?

Euphoric !
    I no longer keep a wait list as it was getting too long and when a space opened, I'd be emailing people who needed care 6+ months ago in some cases. They had obviously found other care so it was a lot of wasted time! I now just tell parents that I'll post on my dc fb page and they need to keep an eye on that. I do still keep their messages so when a spot opens I can go back read them and contact only the ones that I think will be a good fit in regard to timing and age.

When I interview, I schedule one at a time. I meet the family and if I like them, offer the spot and give them 2 days to decide. If they want it, great! If not, I schedule the next family and do the same. I used to interview multiple families but than would have a few who were a good fit and I'd have to decide who to pick and say no to the others which doesn't feel good. This has cut back on that AND also cut back on my interviews as I now only have to interview 1-2 usually which means less wasted time!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Neither. When I have place, I refer to wait list and see how wanted space closest to timing the place opens. I contact that family, see if still looking care and if so, set up interview. If several family wanting similar start, I contact all and set up interview. Then I pick who I would prefer have. If none are what I want, I advertise space or contact other on wait list who need care soon after place is vacant.

I rarely contact people on list if their start date has passed unless it really recent because not all parent like the care they sign up for and tend switch in first 2 month if that case.

Expansive...
    I look at who is closest to my desired start date, and interview them. It may be several families, and none may be a good fit. I don't waste time to consider families who wanted a spot 6 months after I have a spot come open.

Euphoric !
    Prescreen through email/phone and then interview a few. Choose the best family for my daycare then offer the space. I would not interview a family that doesn't need care for 6 months from my start date unless they are willing to pay for it until they need it. But, I would hold a space open a little longer for a really good family if I didn't have any better families to fill it. You don't want to waste your time interviewing anyone and everyone BUT at the same time you don't want to rush to fill it with a family that really isn't compatible with you and your daycare.

Expansive...
    it is good to advertise and also check your waiting list, but be prepared to find the names on your waiting list have their names at a lot of daycares - I like to interview them one at a time and get a feel about them rather than multi interview and watch the clock for the next one