Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

What would you do?

Hi. Im a fairly new daycare provider. I have a question qnd id like to know what you would do in this situation. My previous job was a nanny for a family with twin 1 yr olds and 3 yr old. They decided to end my position so I opened up a daycare from my house. Now that same family is asking me to take their 3 children in my daycare! They are the best family ever! Only problem is that i have a deposit for a 1yr old baby supposed to start in apr and i currently have a 1 yr old that I would like to term anyways. Would you term the baby thats supposed to start mid apr as well to take the awesome family with guatanteed income? What would you do?

Why did they let u go as a nanny?

That would help me decide. Also keep in mind that those three spots are from one family. So if they up and leave again then you will be out three spots all at once.

But I have termed a baby before starting as the stituation changed. I explained why and gave back the deposit. No hard feelings were made.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Such a tough decision. Why did they end your care?

It is risky to have 3 kids from one family as that is 3/5th of your income gone the minute they decide to leave (hence my asking why they already ended care). But, at the same time if you know them and found working for them a pleasure that can go a long ways in making this job bearable!

If you really wish to take them in, make sure it is under new terms. You no longer work for them...they are your clients. So you need a solid contract. You need everything the same with them as with other families (deposits, termination policy, sick policy etc). Make sure you explicitly discuss with this with in person and in writing before continuing. Things will be different with them coming to your daycare.

If you are terminating the other 1 yr old I assume it is with reason and you can do so without mention of this (provide the real reasoning). The family signed on that you have not yet started you would need to terminate immediately so they have time to find a spot (won't be easy for a 1 yr old if in Ontario) and return the deposit. You might have a bit of wiggle room in exactly how you explain it but essentially you are going with a family you worked with in the past that has older siblings which help fill your over age 2 spaces which are really hard to fill and need to be filled to run the daycare (assuming you are in Ontario). They will likely be frustrated and upset but ultimately understand.

Lots to be considered just make sure you are considering everything and not just jumping to return to kids you worked with before. I stress the importance of a signed contract and a discussion about how you no longer work for them. You can no longer cater to their demands and preferences they need to function as part of your group.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Shy
    The family ended my position as a nanny as they decided to take kids to daycare. So i opened a daycare from my house and now they want to change to my daycare. Im not sure why they are switching to me. Thanks for the imput.

Expansive...
    Hmm this family seem like they are all over the place so I say be careful - they dropped you once to go to a daycare , now they are dropping their daycare to go to you.....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

No such thing as guaranteed income...sorry! Also multiple children from one family is a high risk contract. Should for any reason this family leave, you will lose 3 spots and all that income. Never say never. I also think their reasons for letting you go sound a little suspicious. Don't term the other kid who hasn't started yet, it's bad professional practice IMO. The grass isn't always greener.

You say you know this family but not in the context of you now being the boss. You will no longer be their employee and they will have to do as they are told. That could go both ways. Also you have never had to deal with them dropping off and picking up and they are also not altogether familiar with group care with other children or outside the boundaries of their home. Yes they have been with another provider for a month or two, but wouldn't it make the most sense to leave the children in a setting where they are happy and settled rather than transitioning again, regardless of how much they like you?? That again makes me ask the question of why would you move them again? There wellbeing, being settled with someone else, should be a priority. This is in no way a reflection on you, but I would say absolutely no to this family.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Are you able to term one child and take on another 3....space wise I mean?

Personally, I wouldn't take on the family of 3. They don't seem stable and consistent and when they leave, 3 spaces to fill may be hard.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't take on a family of three. I really not like to have two from same family but I would avoid 3. Not just because if they leave it's a lot of spaces to fill but also because some sibling groups and back each other to detriment of other children - power in numbers.
    I really would not work with family who were previous employer. It complicated to switch from them calling shots, to you calling shots and them complying. Might start off good but old habit die hard and would be too easy for them think they are boss when they not.

I'd leave your great experience with this family in tact and look back with fun about that time. New chapter now, don't bring old baggage with you.

Euphoric !
    I started my hdc with the family I was nannying for currently and it worked out fine BUT they weren't washy washy like this family sounds