Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maternity leave

Shy

Maternity leave

Hello Ladies,

I opened my dayhome last August so I am fairly new to things. I have a two year old son of my own plus 5 full time day home children and one child that comes the occasional evening. I am starting to think I would like to have another child and I would like to know what happened when you guys did.

I was thinking I could work up until giving birth then the kids (whoever wants to stay) which I anticipate to be at least 3 could go to a temperary dayhome for 3 months giving me 3 months break.

I would love to get all your opinion on is this would even be possible and what you think

I live in Alberta and 3 months maternity leave is not long at all. However I am not to worried as I would be wearing the baby and breastfeeding. Non of my kids are so young they need constant attention so I feel it is possible. Plus I could start with a smaller amount of children and as the new child gets older take on more.

I am not pregnant yet or even trying but would like to start trying soon but would like to figure things out wih the dayhome first so I know what to expect money wise.

Euphoric !
    As parent, if I had to move my child for three months, I would move permanently. Three month not long for mat leave but massive amount time for child. After that long, my child would be settled and I would not want move back, even if to great carer.

Lot carer's here close 4 weeks and still lose client. One lady re-open in September, two children of own and only one client child. She have lot interest but people concerned her baby take most attention.

Expansive...
    it is good to know the facts and then you can plan ahead so I say - Save now until you do get preg. and be prepared to lose kids if you plan on taking 3 months off

Euphoric !
    I would think it highly unlikely that I would find 3 months temporary care for my child(ren) then go back to the original daycare. Perhaps for 1 months time where we would use our holidays and try to have family help out but beyond that I would be looking for a new daycare.

Not only is 3 months a long time, long enough to settle in with a new caregiver. But, I would think many families would struggle to find care in a daycare home that is for only 3 months. I don't think many daycares would be willing to take in children knowing they will leave in 3 months.

I would plan for the possibility that you lose all families. SO be prepared to have some savings and to be looking for new families when you resume care.