Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    @sandylynn-"maintenance/repairs" could be 100% writeoff if it pertains to daycare space only ie. painting or drywall repair/replacing gates/safety locks/replacing lightbulbs/fire alarm or fire extinguishers in daycare room/any damage or repairs done to daycare room/replacing broken blinds/I write off mulch around my climber, as it's for safety reasons/caulking/bee spray/winter shovel/ice melter/plumbing parts for daycare only bathroom etc. The other maintenance costs pertaining to your whole home will be based on a percent of your total home repairs. It depends on how many square feet you use for daycare versus home, and your operating hours, how many days a week you work etc. You can find the calculation on the CRA website.

I have a cleaner come in every Saturday morningto clean all of the toys. And the last saturday of the months she steam cleans the 6 carpets that are in he daycare and pulls up and wipes down all of my interlocking mats.
    I have a second cleaner that comes every Monday to clean the 2 upper floors. I don't claim her expences.

I wait until I get my assessment then pay it off in March and April.

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    ok...so if I am understanding this correctly....at 50.00 a week....that's 2,600 dollars a year....and one can write of a portion of that?
    I write off the whole thing as she only cleans the day care space.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Suzie-Homemaker....could you define "maintenance" for me....I just want to ensure I am not missing out on any write-offs...thx
    Maintenance is anything you have repair during year. But it claimed as same percentage you claim for utilities etc. based on being shared space for family and daycare use. So if I paint room, I claim my percentage for paint but not my labour. If driveway re-sealed, same percentage claim. If central air vents cleaned out, same percentage. If carpet steam cleaned, same percentage. If deck stained or rotten handrail replaced, same percentage. Literally any household maintenance can be claimed as percentage due to higher wear and tear on home from daycare. Just need make sure you have receipt showing total cost of paint, deck material, deck stain, carpet clean company. Cannot claim upgrades or renos as that not maintaining what was there but replacing with better and likely increasing value of asset (family home).

Euphoric !
    I should maybe clarify - I not have dedicated daycare space. All my house is shared space except my own bedroom which private space. If I had dedicated daycare space, I could claim 100% of maintenance in dedicated day care room as never use by family and solely for daycare so all damages/maintenance would be 100% daycare cost.

Because my space is all shared, I only able claim my normal percentage because family and daycare benefiting from maintenance of shared space.