Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by SFDC View Post
    We do before and after school care, for $20.00 per day, one of the things we do, is get the school kids to show us their lunch sacks for snack time, if they still have lunch left often (more often than not) they eat that. This helps with the added cost to our snack bill. We also have it stipulated that their $20 only covers 2 hours in the A.M. 6:30 to 8-8:30 we start to get ready to go by 8:00, can take a while some days, we leave no later than 8:30. and 2 hours in the evening, we get back no later than 3:30, kids must be picked up by 5:30.
    I was just curious how the parents react to you serving the child's leftover lunch for their afternoon snack and how you decide what out of their lunch to give them? Don't get me wrong, I'll all for eliminating waste and saving costs. However, I'm also not sure if I'd want my kids to eat food that's been sitting in their bags all day. I think I'd rather hear/see that my children weren't eating all their lunch so that I could adjust their lunch portions and then know that they were getting a fresh snack from their DCP after school (especially if it's part of the daycare cost). Just curious.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    I was just curious how the parents react to you serving the child's leftover lunch for their afternoon snack and how you decide what out of their lunch to give them? Don't get me wrong, I'll all for eliminating waste and saving costs. However, I'm also not sure if I'd want my kids to eat food that's been sitting in their bags all day. I think I'd rather hear/see that my children weren't eating all their lunch so that I could adjust their lunch portions and then know that they were getting a fresh snack from their DCP after school (especially if it's part of the daycare cost). Just curious.
    My first thoughts were 'ewwww' there is no way an ice pack can keep food at safe temps that long. But, then I realized the odds are the kids are eating half eaten granola bars and other packaged foods that could be eaten weeks after being opened.

I can't imagine that would save much in the long run either. I have two teenagers of my own and they eat me out of house and home, but when they come from school they aren't following a structured program like daycare kids. A home made muffin and a piece of fruit isn't going to be in an issue cost wise and then they would be busy doing whatever the others are doing and before you know it, it would be pickup time and dinner. My biggest competitors are the in school programs as they are the cheapest option and with the most activities available if you ask me. My kids used to attend the in school ymca after school program and it cost me $16 a day for the pair of them.

The family I was talking about when I originally posted this thread finally had a telephone interview with me yesterday. Their daycare provider is closing down so she needs a full time spot for her 3 year old and her 7 year old will get off the bus at my house from school. Sounds like she was getting a deal, although I didn't ask how much she was currently paying as I don't want to give her the impression it is negotiable with me. Because it is only after school care for 1 1/2 hours, I quoted her $20 per day 5 days a week. She commented on the price although she completely understood that it should really be $45 a day as her daughter would prevent me from taking a full timer. Also this mother asked me if they get any time off from fees for vacation...not the norm in my area. It's obviously what she is getting now but it did kind of annoy me, my issue though. If it is a deal breaker, perhaps I'll give them a week, and take a week paid myself lol Paid vacation is not the norm for my area.

I would advise you to discuss everything with their parents. You can charge less if the children take snacks with them or if there are no problems with them. But if you buy or cook food for them, or if working with them will be quite difficult, then take 25. And also take into account your experience in childcare. But if you don't want to talk to my parents about this, contact edu birdie so that they describe the features of your work and how payment for your labor depends on it. I did it when I just started working.