Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ontario after school care rates

I have never done school runs and do not intend starting now. However, I have someone enquiring for after school care who would contact the bus company to have their child's bus route be reflective of my location.

What rate do people charge in Ontario? Nobody in my town advertises before and after school care and it isn't something I normally entertained as it ties up a full time spot. Since Bill 10 I probably won't fill all my spots and this enquiry also comes with a full time 3 year old sibling so I thought it was worth entertaining the idea.

I thought $25?? Seems a little steep but when I consider the cost of supplies being great for arts and crafts etc and a daily snack which would normally be more substantial than for a little one, charging any less hardly seems worth it.

Thoughts anyone?

Shy
    I'm in Brampton and I wanted to charge $25/day. A lot of people seem to do $20/day here but PLASP is "not for profit", they have a 1-15 ratio and they charge about $110/wk. I'm hoping they will be putting their rates up next year. I do B/A and I will never do it again for less than $25/day. These kids are starving after school, and difficult to entertain, unless you have a video game system you are willing to let them play.

Shy
    A lot of people around here are doing it for "cash", as in no receipts. You could also have them bring their own snacks. The school age kids tend to be very picky and are used to eating "less than healthy" snacks.

Outgoing
    Find out what your local schools are charging, if they have programs there.

Most of the schools here are charging between $21-$23, including a snack. So I would charge $20, and emphasis the smaller group and the chance to do different activities, as opposed to being let loose in a gym day after day with 30 other kids.

I'd agree with your thinking about Bill 10 as a factor too - if you can get a full-time 3yo, taking a sibling would probably be worth it.

I'm in Ontario and everyone around me charges 25$ for both b/a.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I am in Ontario and the rate near me is $20-25. Also check the school bus rules in your area, here children in JK, SK and Grade 1 must be met at the bus stop to be let off. So if this potential child is that young you may need to get the other kiddies out to the bus stop in all kinds of weather. Just something to think about

Shy
    Our school board charges $10 for before school care, $15 for after school care, and of course $25 for before and after care.

Expansive...
    I'm in Halton area, and the standard is $25 here. It really depends on what your operating hours are incomparison to the school hours. Also, most expect morning and afternoon snack and crafts. It all adds up. I did it for a few years, but the behavioural issues with schoolagers finished me off LOL!
    I haven't looked back, but I guess it is a way to fill the "over 2 years" spots.

I charge 15 for before care, 25 for after school care or 40 for both. my regular rates have just been increased to 50 a day as of Jan 2, 2016. I have 2 sk's.

We do before and after school care, for $20.00 per day, one of the things we do, is get the school kids to show us their lunch sacks for snack time, if they still have lunch left often (more often than not) they eat that. This helps with the added cost to our snack bill. We also have it stipulated that their $20 only covers 2 hours in the A.M. 6:30 to 8-8:30 we start to get ready to go by 8:00, can take a while some days, we leave no later than 8:30. and 2 hours in the evening, we get back no later than 3:30, kids must be picked up by 5:30.