Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easter Monday??

Shy

Easter Monday??

Does anyone take Easter Monday off? I decided to take off all stat/government holidays. A lot of parents have given me crap for taking Monday off and civic holiday because it's not an ACTUAL stat holiday ? Anyone else had this problem and what should I say

Starting to feel at home...
    Some provinces consider Easter Monday a holiday while others do not, just as some have Remembrance Day off while others don't. If you reside in a province that does not consider Easter Monday a holiday and you don't have it specifically listed in your contract that you will be taking it as a paid day off, then sadly I think you need to either take it as a vacation day or work it.
    Last edited by MommaL; 03-21-2016 at 05:00 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaL For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I'm in Southern Ontario, and it's not a stat, but I have added it to my paid days in my contract a few years ago, as I have many school board employees who are off anyway. No one has batted an eye here, but it was in the contract when they signed, so it's not like I changed it along the way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you explicitly wrote Easter Monday in your contract then they have no basis to complain, enjoy the day off. If you just wrote "all stats" then technically you can't take the day off without using a vacation day and giving enough notice.

My husband works the Monday so I never bothered writing it in as a day off. I did have a few families that had the day off, they still sent their child and got a well earned day to themselves.

I'm in Ontario and Easter Monday is a government holiday. In my contract I wrote I have all stat, federal, civic and government holidays off paid. So never a issue here
    Last edited by babydom; 03-22-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Euphoric !
    I have 11 days off a year with pay. They are in my contract as stat/civic days I believe (I'd have to double check actual wording) I do not include Easter Monday as it's never been considered a stat in my family. My parents worked and I went to school. If I chose to close for the day, it would be without pay.

What does your contract say?

Euphoric !
    I list out my closed days, some are stats, some are public. Easter Monday is one I take that has been questioned before.

Regardless, it listed as a closed and paid day in my contract so they can whine all they want. The time for them to object was past after they signed on the contract that clearly listed it.

Last year, one of my Moms said "You are closed on Easter Monday" about a week before. I confirmed that I was. Couple day before, she asked again so I send her the contract she signed, told her that my answer was still same, and yes, I closed.

On Easter Sunday, at supper time, her husband phone house to argue that I should be open based on he and his wife needing to work. My husband told him very clear that he already been told twice we are closed, that the contract available on line for him look at anytime he not sure, and that it not okay to call our house during weekend when business closed to complain and whine and add pressure. That never going to result in the outcome he wanted and if he called again, during our personal time, he'd be getting less polite reply.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I list out my closed days, some are stats, some are public. Easter Monday is one I take that has been questioned before.

Regardless, it listed as a closed and paid day in my contract so they can whine all they want. The time for them to object was past after they signed on the contract that clearly listed it.

Last year, one of my Moms said "You are closed on Easter Monday" about a week before. I confirmed that I was. Couple day before, she asked again so I send her the contract she signed, told her that my answer was still same, and yes, I closed.

On Easter Sunday, at supper time, her husband phone house to argue that I should be open based on he and his wife needing to work. My husband told him very clear that he already been told twice we are closed, that the contract available on line for him look at anytime he not sure, and that it not okay to call our house during weekend when business closed to complain and whine and add pressure. That never going to result in the outcome he wanted and if he called again, during our personal time, he'd be getting less polite reply.
    Wow that's crazy. I would have NOT answered the phone. Let him tell my phone machine off and I'd enjoy my long wkend off and talked to them on Tuesday. Lol

Expansive...
    I take the Mon off and I make sure to remind everyone the week before so they are not surprised - that does sound like a bad client you had Suzie, I hope you enjoy your Easter this year

Share a happy Easter card along with my best wishes. Let’s enjoy the special day.