Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Immunizations

Shy

Immunizations

I am a new private home daycare in Ontario and I am wondering if I can accept a 22 month old that does not have immunizations. Any info is appreciated!

It is up to you whether or not you are comfortable excepting a non-vaccinated child or not.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

It's not a rule or law. It's to the discretion of the provider. I do not accept children not up to date. My preference is all children are vaccinated

Expansive...
    I require vaccinations, but it's up to you.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by childcare View Post
    I am a new private home daycare in Ontario and I am wondering if I can accept a 22 month old that does not have immunizations. Any info is appreciated!
    It is up to you...but I do feel you should let other families know one of your children has chosen (the parents have) not to be immunized. As that child ages they have the potential to bring something in to the daycare that the younger children are not yet old enough to have the immunizations for. While it is potentially unlikely, they are at greater risk of exposing the youngest children to illnesses that could have been prevented. I think it is worthwhile to inform the other parents so if something is brought into the daycare you can in the least say you had informed everyone and are not liable. Otherwise I do believe some parents may accuse you of creating an environment where young children were put in the position to be exposed to an illness that is typical well protected. I would cover your bases and ensure everyone is informed. I personally would not accept the child into care as I would feel a tad responsible should the non-immunized older child brings in something and it spreads through to the younger children.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I dont accept non vaccinated either. I will also piont out, I agree with Lee-Bee , and will just add, it not just those other kids in your care that will be exposed. What about your family, friends that visit, and the daycare kids families. For example, I have a few family member that have newborns or are pregnant now, My home as a daycare has a higher risk of germs as is, I dont want to worry about the ones that are entirely preventable. Also, vaccinating is something I feel strong enough about that I know that working with parents with that much difference in opinion would simply not be a good fit.
    Its entirely up to you, I think I would have it written in your contract that you accept kids without vaccinations, and ensure that not only are others aware, but they sign to it. In this business, you can not go too far to cover your own arse.

Expansive...
    I like all the children to be up to date but if you decide to take this child let the parents know that if any child get measles , mumps, chicken pox then this child has to stay Home so the child does not get anything that is going around and a reminder that April/ May is the months that measles comes out so look for spots .......it is always when we just finish with the flu and colds then spots happen YEKS!!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    If not up to date, I would ask the parent (in a non confrontational way) if it's because of allergies or medical conditions. If the child can't get the vaccine for a legitimate reason, they are generally advised to avoid contact with other non-vaccinated children (to benefit from herd immunity). I would allow one child for this reason. If they say it's for personal beliefs or their fear of autism, I would not take the child. Because if they can't listen to facts from medical professionals, they probably won't listen to me either!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Personal preference indeed. I do not require children to be immunized. I don't ask why, it's a personal choice and it is irrelevant to me personally what the basis of their decision is. I have them sign to declare this and acknowledge the differences in sickness policy for their child and that regardless of attendance payment is always required. I have it in my contract that immunization is not required for enrollment but should something be going around I will inform all parents so they can be made aware and be on the look out while still maintaining the confidentiality of the family who have opted out of immunizations. Certain childhood illnesses that are vaccinated against in Canada are not vaccinated against in other countries and there isn't always a health epidemic as a result. Pregnant mothers are for sure at risk, but they are at just as much risk if not more going to the grocery store or sitting in the doctors office and unbeknownst to them what the vaccination status of every person they come into close contact with. This is part of the reason why I decided not to require a child to be immunized.

I would allow one child for this reason. If they say it's for personal beliefs or their fear of autism, I would not take the child. Because if they can't listen to facts from medical professionals, they probably won't listen to me either!
    This is why I personally think it best to not get into the reasons why a parent has chosen for or against vaccinations. What one person holds as true, may in fact be false and that applies to all of us. Values, medical facts etc etc Fear of autism is a valid fear backed up by medical research. What information one person has gathered may be very different than another's. For every piece of fact saying one thing, there is another saying the opposite. If a provider isn't comfortable with it one way or another then it should be as simple as that not needing an explanation from a parent because regardless of how valid or invalid their reasoning, it should have no impact on your vaccination policy for enrollment. An unvaccinated child is exactly that regardless of the reason why and if your policy does not accept then it doesn't accept.