Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Non daycare WWYD??

So......

Dd is in SK. Lately she has come home from school talking a lot about Jesus(pretty specific things like being nailed to a cross and dying). We are not religious.

Would you mention anything to teacher and/or parents of child who is telling my daughter these things? I am friendly with this child's mother. They are also not religious so it's all a bit strange!

Outgoing
    Personally, I don't think you should say anything to anybody, except your child. I believe that understanding other people's religions is important for understanding other people. There's no sense trying to deny the fact that we live in a world with a lot of different beliefs, customs, traditions, etc. Share your opinions with your child and let her talk to you about them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would only speak my child too. Perfect opportunity to explain different people have different beliefs.

Outgoing
    I agree with kindertime. I don't really see an issue. It's all part of our cultural differences and our surroundings.

IF it's a problem for you or if the parent comes to you with questions and concerns you can address them according to your own beliefs an values but otherwise I would leave it and only discuss with my child.

Euphoric !
    I agree with the others. There isn't anything for the teacher to do. She can't force a child to not speak. Speak to your daughter about religion and how people have different belief systems. If you really feel the need to speak to someone you would have to speak to the other child's mother. But again, there isn't really anything for you to tell them. If they are not that religious then odds are their daughter is just trying to work out information she has to gain understanding...she' s not trying to convert your daughter or anything.

Just use it as a learning opportunity.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I would get a picture book version of the life of Jesus and read it as a story. Let her know in whatever language your family uses that you don't believe it to be truth but that some people do.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    I am friendly with this child's mother. They are also not religious so it's all a bit strange!
    I would also like to add something. I don't know how well you know the other mother, but there are a lot of people that I would have said are "not religious" but then a year ago, I joined facebook and found out different. So, in your situation, I would be afraid to offend, even unintentionally.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post: