Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Walking harness/"leash"

In the past week or so I've seen these come up for discussion on other forums and Facebook groups. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on them?

Personally, I see them no different than a stroller, wagon or shopping cart. They are all a form of restraint and used for convenience and safety. I use them when we go for a leisure walk and I want the littles to get exercise or if we are going somewhere busy and the risk of losing a child is high risk. They either have to hold my hand, their partners hand or the cart/wagon/stroller if I have one. I think they can be used to teach boundaries, rules and how to walk nice but they have the added bonus of extra safety with them and they offer the child some freedom and independence to explore
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 04-03-2016 at 08:56 PM.

I hate them. Hahaha. I know some love them and swear by them. My new boy that started a mth ago, his mom gave me one and said use it, he's a runner. I haven't used it yet. And he has never even tried to run away from me. I can't get over the thought that it's like a dog leash. But I don't judge others that use it, to each their own

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

FSD

Euphoric !
    Lol. Yes, for some the "leash" part really trips them up! A friend of mine said she hates that term but uses them herself.

I rarely need to use mine now since this group has been the same for 2 years and the youngest are now both almost 3. They all know the rules and expectations and are fantastic to walk with. But when starting new or young kids, I'm not taking the chance of letting them walk freely until I know their personality and they know the rules. It's just common sense to me but I know others do things differently.

I just don't really get why some are so against them but yet strollers/wagons/carts don't have the same negative stigma attached. It's something that I find interesting
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 04-03-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Euphoric !
    Just a question, what if he DID run off once and something happened? How do you think mom would react given that she told you and gave a personal harness to use?

I'm just curious not arguing lol

I love the walking harnesses. I used them for both my boys and for dc kids. When using them for dc kids I have the parents fill out a permission form stating they will allow me to use one one their child. To date I haven't had a problem.

side note: when I was a kid my parents used a dog harness (on backwards) and a lease to keep me from running off. It didn't hurt me at all, in fact I don't even remember it. It kept me safe and I thank my parents for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Just a question, what if he DID run off once and something happened? How do you think mom would react given that she told you and gave a personal harness to use?

I'm just curious not arguing lol
    Good question! Lol. I told mom i don't like them nor use them but she can leave it here if she wants, which she did. He is over 3yrs old so I think with his age I didn't have a problem. As I could just yell and he'd understand to come back. The first wk we didn't go anywhere and I could see what he's like. Very quiet, very good and a great listener inside. Second wk we went out and I'm on a quiet dead end street so if he did run I wasn't to concerned. He never tired though. He'd walk alittle to far ahead and I'd yell stop or come back to far and he'd listen right away. If it was a fresh one yr old then ya. But I still wouldn't use the leash I use a stroller or if I just have one baby and the rest are older then we all walk and I follow the baby around while the older kids follow us too . I'd feel awful if something happen but again I wasn't setting myself up so something could. Like if it were day one, we went out on a busy street to playgroup then I would have used the stroller. But I tested him. Went out on second wk and on our quiet street. So if he ran I'd get him!!!! Lol

Euphoric !
    Yes, with him being older he should definitely know that when you yell "stop!", he needs to stop!

When we go for walks with no harness, stroller or wagon, I'm just naturally more anxious lol so I have to say, I do prefer the harnesses. However, now that they all bigger, it just isn't a need for them, but it does calm my nerves! We live in a fairly quiet area with lots of bays but I live on a BUSY street (and near a super busy corner) and it's a nerve racking couple minutes until we get on the side streets haha.

Blue rose...I can remember my brother (8years younger) having the wrist leash but my husband's family didn't have those types of things and when they'd be up at their cabin, they just tied him to a tree!!! LOL He has no memory of it so it obviously didn't scar him lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    While I can't stand them I can see the value of them at times.

I really don't like them and I think that they allow lazy parents to just be lazier, rather than be the adult and train the child they just tie them up and yank them in.

But, I do recognize that in a group setting sometimes the caregiver really doesn't have the means to teach an otherwise untrained child and they have other children to focus on too. And I also try to remind myself when I see a parent out with one child on it that the child may have special needs that makes them an actual flight risk.

But, I think there are very few cases where it is actually needed. It is up to the adult to train the child to never leave their side...it takes time and patience but we need to train the children at a young age so they just know this.

At some point all children outgrow the harness and if they haven't yet been trained how to function in public then there will just be a bigger problem.

I'll note that my husbands family were farmers. His mom, and her sister and brother grew up on a large working farm (with extra hired workers). His grandma was recently telling me that she used to tie his uncle (now in his 60's) up to a tree on a large rope so he could play outside while everyone worked. The imagine in my head makes me laugh (and cringe). But, I think all generations and all situations just kind of use the means they have at hand to survive day to day!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Never use one and never will. If we go out I only have 1-3 kids and it would only be to somewhere indoors. If we ever go for a walk I am never worried has traffic is very very minimal.

I am all about teaching kids boundaries and expectations. I can see though why others use them as 4 or more kids walking down a busy street would make me nervous too.

Euphoric !
    I think if used right, teaching boundaries is the same without a harness BUT you have the added reassurance of the leash if they dart off.

It actually annoys me more to see a child in a stroller/wagon/shopping cart that can clearly walk on their own and are old enough to know the expectations. Of course, different situations and kids require different techniques though.

It's just odd/funny to me that for the most part, harnesses are the only form of restraint that are looked at with such controversy even though IMO, they're all the same