Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Red face Opening a private dayhome in Alberta (Calgary) requirements

Hi,

We are planning on opening a private dayhome which we will turn into a license group family dayhome in the future. Is there anything we need to do (calling the city for zoning, fire dept, health and safety,etc) before we open our private dayhome?

Thank you!

Alberta is the Wild West of child care, in my humble opinion. I opened my private Dayhome last year.
    Maximum is 6 children in a private Dayhome. No licensing required. It is, however, strongly recommended that you get commercial liability insurance (wawanesa does this) in case you get sued. They will send out a risk evaluator who would then make recommendations based on you home etc.
    I recommend you get your child and infant CPR, police check with vulnerable sectors, and child and family services intervention check as parents will want to see this. Make sure your house is child proofed to the nines (all plugs covered, cupboards locked, baby gates etc). Keep your receipts as this is all tax deductible.
    Check out the home daycare section on the revenue Canada website - they have a very useful panflet online.

Thanks Kath!
    I am quite confused about the zoning bylaws regarding private dayhomes. I called licensing and they didnt mention anything about it, but when I called the city, the lady said I need to get a permit even if it is a private dayhome.

You shouldn't have to. There is a permit page on the city of Calgary website. You go through steps explaining your home business (employees? How many kids etc) and they tell you what kind, if any permit is necessary. If you have 6 or fewer kids and no employees you don't have to get any permits according to their website. If you plan to expand beyond the 6 kids then zoning gets involved (developments permits, traffic studies, lots of headache).

The only licensing to do with Dayhomes in Calgary is through the province, through an agency if you choose to go that route. If you're private, the you are not under an agency.

Hi Kath , Im also thinking of opening a private dayhome in calgary, I have questions with receipts because I have friends that want to have receipts so they can file in their taxes too can I issue receipts as a private day home and do I need to register these receipts? TIA

Yes. You are suppose to provide your clients with receipts. Otherwise ur getting paid under the table and that's against the law. U give out receipts yearly, at the end of every yr. u claim the amount on ur taxes and the client claims it also. I just pick up a receipt booklet at the local dollar store. It gives them a copy and me a copy to keep. U don't need to register the receipts just claim the amount on ur taxes