Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I get what you're saying but in a case like this, the parents think they ARE doing what's best for their child. It's a difference of opinion IMO.

I would ask why they still use formula but ultimately, it's up to them when to stop giving it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    There is nothing wrong with a caregiver telling the parents of a 3yr old "I am no longer comfortable serving formula to your child while in my care, my understanding of the nutrition requirements for preschoolers is that formula simply fills their tummy preventing them from eating healthier options blah blah blah".

I think it is a combination of the two thoughts here. While we cannot dictate how parents raise their children we are in a position to present information in an open, nonjudgmental way. From there they are open to do as they please with that information.

At the same time, we are home based care providers can pick and chose who we have in our care and if we are finding that parents are raising their children in a very different way than we are comfortable with we can give notice to end care. The way they raise their children does impact our daycare and therefore ourselves so there are plenty of cases where there just isn't a good fit.

Whether or not giving formula in place of real food at the age of 3 fits this situation is for the OP to determine. In the least the caregiver can set the limits they are comfortable with, preferably after open dialogue with the family to come to mutual terms (even if that is just both sides being more informed and continuing as is).

Obviously if we chose to be very picky about how parents are raising there kids we run the risk of having empty places in our daycares...but again that is up to us.

This situation could very well just be misguided nervous parents. Formula companies make a toddler line of formula for these specific parents. They advertise their formula for these specific families. And with all the talks and concerns about getting a well balanced diet and all the vitamins and minerals etc a parent to a picky (at home) child truly can feel that they are doing best by their child by providing formula.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    This situation could very well just be misguided nervous parents. Formula companies make a toddler line of formula for these specific parents. They advertise their formula for these specific families. And with all the talks and concerns about getting a well balanced diet and all the vitamins and minerals etc a parent to a picky (at home) child truly can feel that they are doing best by their child by providing formula.
    I think this is exactly what is happening with these parents. They are likely worried that their little guy isn't getting enough vitamins or nutrients. Or perhaps he doesn't like cow's milk, so they want him to have the calcium that comes in toddler formula. They probably just need some reassurance that he's doing ok or given other options for incorporating vitamins into his diet. In this case, I would use my own experience when talking to the parents. I may something like "I was worried that DD wasn't getting enough nutrients when she was younger too, especially since she never liked cow's milk. I found that talking to a nutritionist really helped". This way I'm putting the idea in their head without making them feel like I'm questioning their decisions. But in the end, I would respect whatever they decided. While giving formula may not be something that I would give to my own 2-3 year old, the fact that there is formula specially for this age group tells me that there are a lot parents who obviously do.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaL For This Useful Post: