Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Preschooler on formula

I have an almost 3 yr old who is still on formula, and I mean high volumes like you'd feed an infant. The child weighs more than my kids did at 4.5 yrs and eats everything I serve. There is no allergy issue either. My fees are tiered, so as they age, my fees reduce. The child is now at the cheapest fee bracket. The problem is the parents still expect me to measure/mix this formula, and quite frankly, I don't feel I should have to do this at this age. Would it be rude to tell them to prepare it themselves?
    Can I ask them to phase out the formula, and go with water or milk? I've never seen anything like this before...

WOWZER!!

Have you ever asked them why they give their child formula versus cows milk? This kid is gonna have rotten teeth given that formula is full of sugar! I would feel around for the why of things and then suggest a transition to dairy or other alternative and cite your reasoning as you are somewhat concerned at the volume they are taking in and the effect it may have on their teeth given the sugar content. Hype it up additionally by saying it would be a huge money saver and better for them to be on cows milk. Milk is a food not a beverage which is why I do not offer milk with a meal at any age. If this kid is on full table food and isn't a fussy eater all this is going to do is make the kid fat!...Not sorry, it is fact! Maybe this child gives them grief at home and that is why they won't wean them off or perhaps the milk is a comfort and they again are to busy to put in the work to teach self soothing which doesn't surround food.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sounds like maybe they are afraid to make changes...'if it ain't broke don't fix it' kind of mentality?

You need to decide how much it bothers/concerns you.

You can tell them if you still have to prep and serve bottles then their child stays at the price point of the infants that actually require bottles. You can just refuse to serve them anymore. Or you can just roll with it.

I would suggest a flat out meeting to ask WHY. They may very well have a reason that make sense. Or, they may just be scared to change etc. See if you can tackle the issue there before making changes. If they are not on board with a cold turkey approach suggest starting to wean off by doing part formula part milk for a while and slowly lessen the formula in the mix until it is straight milk. But, even there it is still not appropriate for a 3yr old. I personally don't like serving more than a bit of milk in a cup a day. They get enough dairy through their meals and snacks and they should be getting enough vitamin D through sunshine so we don't need to drown kids in milk. It just makes them not need to eat (tummy is full) and therefore allows them to be picky.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I had this issue once. I just weaned the child off here and didn't mom

I then added it to my contract that no more bottles/soothers at daycare past 18 months. There done! Fixed any future problems. Now I find any new kids coming in seem to be weaned off both before they start or are given it at home only.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't do bottles at all unless the child is under 9 months or for a medical reason

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    They say they like the vitamins in the formula. The problem is they use it as backup when he gets picky at home, so sometimes it's a total meal replacement at home. Not here though-I make him eat full meal before he gets it. I might add, it's given in an open cup-not a sippy or bottle.

Starting to feel at home...
    I guess I do things differently. While I may not always agree with the decisions that other parents make, I also don't feel it's up to me to question them unless it affects me or the daycare significantly. Something like this likely wouldn't personally affect me. It only takes a minute to mix formula together. I don't see it as an inconvenience or something that takes too much time. That being said, if it did come up and depending on what the parent said is the reason for still giving formula, I might ask if they have talked to their doctor, naturopath or nutritionist about it.

But to answer the original poster, I don't think it's rude to ask the parents to bring the formula already mixed if that's your preference.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MommaL For This Useful Post:

He'd probably eat more if he didn't have it. It would save you money to keep him on it. Lol. Okay, I'm kidding. No one wants to see a preschooler stuck and unable to move on.
    Asking why is good. Phasing it out would likely be helpful - like the others have said. Clearly these parents haven't read the ingredients in formula. Yikes!

Euphoric !
    I'm like you mommaL, I likely wouldn't say too much as it's not my child, not my decision IMO. I would probably ask why though as they might have a good reason...or at least throw it out there so that they know that it's quite uncommon for a child his age to be on formula still.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I'm like you mommaL, I likely wouldn't say too much as it's not my child, not my decision IMO. I would probably ask why though as they might have a good reason...or at least throw it out there so that they know that it's quite uncommon for a child his age to be on formula still.
    I would never tell a parent what to do, but as a caregiver I feel a duty to the child and their best interests. To simply ignore this issue because it doesn't really effect me is besides the point. It effects the child. Ultimately my hands are tied, but doing nothing is part of the problem because for all anyone knows, this is something the parent deep down knows to be an issue but either doesn't know any better, has been given poor advice or is struggling to get a handle of. Are we not obligated as caregiver of this child to do what's in their best interest? Even if it means having a sometimes difficult conversation with a parent? It's not a case of TELLING a parent what to do, but investigate, ask questions, offer resources etc. That's not overstepping the mark if you ask me, that is collaborative care which is what I see this daycare gig being. To do nothing is an injustice. If this parent thinks that the child is being served better nutritionally via formula and we know better, shouldn't we offer some resources for them to investigate further. At the end of the day it may not make the parent change, but I'd do everything I could and I would sleep better at night knowing I'd tried my best for the child.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 04-05-2016 at 08:13 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post: