Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Summer care

Outgoing

Summer care

Just curious whether you ladies would have the same payment policies for summer care. I have a parent interested in summer care for twice a week. There are a few exceptions as the family is going away and they don't need care for certain days.We are also going away for a week so I won't be charging for that week but would you charge for the days this family will be away?

Euphoric !
    I find summer care hard. Children older so it mean finding activities which engage school age child that younger one can also do - or running two program. Also student eat more than toddler so that a factor to think about with fee.
    In term of them not need care some weeks, too bad. If they want the flexibility of knowing they have care when they need it, they need to pay for the space for the duration of summer like every other client. I sure my teacher client who pay my bill year round would think unfair if a temp client got preferable financial rate then they did. Yes, I would charge for the day they away. They not doing you favour by filling 9 out 10 weeks, you doing them favour by extend program to include their child, by adapting program so it fit their child, in reserving days for short term client and by them not have book summer camps which be more expensive.

I always find it interesting why people have this idea that summer camps are more expensive. I think it is relative to the area you are in but not true of the whole by any means. Home Daycare in the GTA is far more expensive than summer camps. I live in Niagara Region where income is the lowest of the whole golden horseshoe, but it still works out more expensive than day camps.

I also don't think it's to much extra work to adapt the program for multiple age groups.

As a short term care arrangement, payment should be upfront and in advance, just like a summer program would require. This covers your back regardless of attendance. I think if you are unavailable to provide care that there is no reason for them to pay for care, but if they take time off they need to pay. Offer the weeks as full weeks, not part time, but if there is a week they don't want then I wouldn't charge. Enrollment would work very much the same way as a summer camp would. Charge them a flat rate for the week, and then they can choose should they wish to attend less than five days a week. Other than that, my best advice would be to tell them to get a babysitter.

Outgoing
    I adapt my current program already as I have varying ages, the oldest being 5 years so it wouldn't be a stretch for kindergartners. I don't provide food so that's not an issue. But another provider did point out that attendance could be spotty, so I've decided that I definitely will be charging the same amount each week just as I would with my other clients. Thanks for your help ladies!