Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

Hello!

I need some advice on what to do.
    One of my parents brought in her daughter on Wednesday after saying she had a fever last night, but was fever free in the morning. So, I thought nothing of it. However, that afternoon at pick up, the fever came back, and I told mum to keep her home Thursday, as I have a fever policy. Yesterday (Friday) it turns out that she has HFAMD, and now think I am showing symptoms.

So, what should I do? I do have it stated in my Parent Handbook that I am entitled to sick days. I'm worried that my daughter and husband will get it too. Should I ask parents whose children ARE NOT showing symptoms to keep their kids home? Or close completely? I have been running my HDC for over a year without having to take a sick day. I'm so frustrated!

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately this is one of the main reasons the rule of not admitting a child until they are fever free for 24hrs without the use of meds is so common. In many cases the bigger illnesses start with a fever then move to show the other symptoms.

You need to decide based on how you feel as to whether you will work. I would lean to being closed and resting up versus opening for some but not all clients. Especially if they have to pay whether you are open or closed. I can see some people being upset that they are paying but have to stay home while others are paying and get care for the day.

I would send out a notice asap to all families that there is a case of hand foot and mouth, what to look out for in their children and that you are now showing signs so need to close for the day (or days).

However make sure you are not just panicking. This is one of the illnesses that mainly effect kids under age 5 and not so much adults, while some adults will catch it, it is quite rare.

Expansive...
    I guess it depends on what your contract says. If you have sick days, then use them if needed. Do you have an exclusion policy for communicable diseases? If so, then the way I do it is that if myself or my own kids have something I would normally exclude a daycare child for, then I take a sick day and close. Watch out for the blisters too, as they are fluid filled, and can spread the virus too if they ooze. I exclude until all blisters have sealed up, and we did that as well at the centre I worked at. That could take 4-5 days to heal up, so keep that in mind for yourself and the daycare child.

Shy
    I am going to take my daughter to the kids clinic be sure of what the disease is. She had a fever yesterday, threw up then felt better, but today she has blisters on her legs. I feel fine, but I do have faint blisters on my hands. I have already informed all of my families of the situation.

I do have an illness exclusion policy and sick days, so I guess I might close for a day or two. But I want to be sure first, so off to the doctor we go!

Thanks so much!

It's great to have a sounding board with people who have been in similar situations!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JKR For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If it is HFM, then based on what doctor says, I would close and use own sick days. I not think it fair to be open and ask parent who child well to be home! It seem unfair that healthy child excluded from daycare but sick children can come. I would be cross if my child was not sick and was excluded from daycare based on that when the sick child who contaminated everyone, is allowed to come.

Its best if you take rest and close for a few days till you get better.And its good if you send notices to all the parents so that they can look out for their children.I hope you feel better by now