Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Insurance while Renting?

Hi everyone, I am in the beginning stages of planning a dayhome (in Alberta). We rent and would be moving into a larger place to accommodate a dayhome. Any idea about dayhome insurance for a tenant? Or liability with something other than homeowner insurance? I'm hoping someone has had experience with this before.

Euphoric !
    Try TD insurance or Wawanesa - they both seem to offer daycare insurance and not mind if rented or owned home.

Side comment is that you must make sure your landlord know you running a business and get their permission in writing. Landlord renting out house to family/tennant normally know who living in house but running dayhome mean more wear and tear on property due to higher number people in it regularly. You could have tennant agreement cancelled for landlord not authorising use of property for business.

We rent and we use the Co-Operators for insurance

Shy
    An update. I called TD and they *do not* provide dayhome insurance if renting. They suggested I would need commercial insurance and also strongly recommended it anyway as there are many exclusions with strictly dayhome insurance. For instance, if a child has an allergic reaction to a food, there is no coverage.

@Suziehomemaker. Yes, worth mentioning, but I was nervously already aware of needing to have that conversation in the future. Seems like a hard sell!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bumbleberry For This Useful Post:

You will pay a lot for commercial insurance. U dont need it. Call the co operators or State Farm

Shy
    I have my renter/dayhome insurance through State farm

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bumbleberry View Post
    An update. I called TD and they *do not* provide dayhome insurance if renting. They suggested I would need commercial insurance and also strongly recommended it anyway as there are many exclusions with strictly dayhome insurance. For instance, if a child has an allergic reaction to a food, there is no coverage.

@Suziehomemaker. Yes, worth mentioning, but I was nervously already aware of needing to have that conversation in the future. Seems like a hard sell!
    Call back TD and hope for someone else. They DO provide insurance when renting. My friend who rents is with them.

Euphoric !
    I think that you need to choose your wording carefully!

While I would never call us babysitters i can't help but think you would get more accurate answers here if you say you want to ensure you have coverage for up to 5 kids that you babysit regularly. If you say you want to run a home daycare then the phone people will jump to commercial insurance because you are talking about a business in your home.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Technically, we aren't required to have any insurance, so the type of insurance one is interested is really a matter of personal preference and perception of risk.

I did get the impression from talking to TD that it would have been very easy not to mention the renting situation. It was a question I brought up; otherwise they seem to assume ownership. To me, that doesn't put me at ease though. If something were to happen, it would in all likelihood become clear and negate coverage. Same goes for passing as an occasional babysitter.

My goal here isn't the cheapest rates, but the most full coverage and protection and (important) knowing the exclusions while being transparent about what I am doing.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. They have been helpful.