Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Transitioning...once again

Ahhh 11 mth olds first day today. I haven't had crying babies since goodness knows when, fortunately my talent of shutting off to the sound hasn't waivered. I don't ignore the child, I ignore the crying. My son was a hell raiser for a year who pretty much didn't sleep and instead screamed the house down from sundown to sunup with zero possibility of being able to smooth him for anything. Great practice and built me up a significant tolerance which has served me well in this job for the last ten years.

Reopened in March two days a week for an old daycare child that I had prior to closing in July 2015. No transition there at all. Awesome little girl turning three in August. She has been 4 days a week since the second week of April. Toilet trained in 3 days without pull ups and she is an absolute joy.

11mth old transitioning today has been in tears. She is a bruiser and having temper tantrums while crying. Naps at 8:30 usually so I laid her down and she was happier but cried intermittently and didn't nap. Up at 9:20 and other girl is hear now too. I have a playpen set up in the Playroom and amidst her screaming she had her face pressed up against the playpen. I laid her back down and she calmed down. Then lay on her front quietly watching 2 year old before sitting up 5 minutes later. 2yo took her some peek a blocks and she played in the playpen for about 15 minutes and is now out playing on the floor. She was able to see everything that's going on and she was happy. So she has claimed her safe spot and I'm fine with that. If that calms her then it's a great start. I can work with that and gradually wok on having her out of it. She has an easy going temperament generally speaking, just missing her ma and pa understandably.

Another 1 year old starts next Monday so I'm glad I'm dealing with the two starting on the same day.

Puppy is fine suddenly being separated with gates etc so I'm not harassed by her and able to give my full attention to the kids.

I am however SUPER happy with my decision not to enrol in online summer classes, can you imagine lol I can establish some kind of routine before I start in September. 3 online classes and 2 evening classes on campus per week.

Thought I'd just share my first day back full time with babies :-)

Euphoric !
    Hang in there! Hopefully it all smooths out quickly for everyone! I started a 13 and 26 month old set of siblings 3 weeks ago (just part time which is all I wanted if more than one child).

They are adorable, sweet-natured boys that totally respect boundaries but OMG are the drop offs insane! They are like my daughter, don't cry often but when they do they mean it! Luckily mom is amazing and literally drops and is gone in under 5seconds (despite both her kids screaming insanely). The 26 month old now walks himself in (bawling - which is adorable), but both are now calm and playing within a few minutes and stay that way through till pick up.

So crazy how transitions can be! But sometimes it is so worth it when they settle in and are great kids!

Good decision not taking on classes this summer as well. Sometimes academically it is worthwhile taking a break from classes for a few months!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post

Good decision not taking on classes this summer as well. Sometimes academically it is worthwhile taking a break from classes for a few months!
    No kidding lol lots of Netflix catching up to do and reading for fun!?!? I had almost forgotten what that was.

Euphoric !
    Hope they transition in soon for ya!

Reading this though gives me anxiety LOL. After 2 years of no new kids, I'll have 2 open spots come end of August. I'm already dreading having to possibly have an infant (or 2!) again I love kids but older than 18-24 months to 5 years is my favourite age group. It's just those first few days of crying that I dislike...I haven't had a "bad" transition in forever though so I don't know what is making me so anxious. Just my own head getting in the way lol....and the memory of a 24/7 2 week crier LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Hope they transition in soon for ya!

Reading this though gives me anxiety LOL. After 2 years of no new kids, I'll have 2 open spots come end of August. I'm already dreading having to possibly have an infant (or 2!) again I love kids but older than 18-24 months to 5 years is my favourite age group. It's just those first few days of crying that I dislike...I haven't had a "bad" transition in forever though so I don't know what is making me so anxious. Just my own head getting in the way lol....and the memory of a 24/7 2 week crier LOL
    Yeah I haven't missed the crying lol But she isn't too bad all things considered. Glad I have a week in between them coming though.

Expansive...
    Nothing like diving in the deep end on your first day back LOL

I have a new 12 month old starting next Monday so I will be in the same boat as you and thinking of you as we get through the day together

Outgoing
    Hope things getting better with your new one. I started a 12 mnth old dcg last week who is Mondays only and then full time summer. No crying at all, just playing happily. I asked parents if she's had a lot of social exposure as she's unusually chill. Nope, she's just wired that way. Have only ever had another child like this in all my years. So will enjoy as I know it can change on a dime. I usually have earplugs at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Hope things getting better with your new one. I started a 12 mnth old dcg last week who is Mondays only and then full time summer. No crying at all, just playing happily. I asked parents if she's had a lot of social exposure as she's unusually chill. Nope, she's just wired that way. Have only ever had another child like this in all my years. So will enjoy as I know it can change on a dime. I usually have earplugs at this stage.
    Thanks so much. New 12mth old today is super chilled and in general the little girl who started last week is happy to have a playmate, but she is very whiney and cries when I leave the room or move away from her. She will get over it eventually I'm sure.

Nearly 3yo girl who is super easy and well behaved is having some social issues. She can not interact with the kids, in fact she struggles to function at all. Has been in group settings before, but she has literally spent the last hour or so sat in one spot with a book that she isn't even reading. When I encourage her to play she breaks down crying. Hopefully she will adjust soon, but she isn't unhappy otherwise.

Early lunch today as one kid has been up since 5...

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    I usually have earplugs at this stage.
    LOL I like the earplugs idea so must use that next time
    My new 12 mnth is doing fine too - that is great with all these chilled new 12mth olds