Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    I agree that infant spots tend to be easier to fill and there will always be a need and want for home daycare (especially since it's nearly impossible to get into a centre in my area).

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but if most parents do take advantage of the 18-month leave, won't it mean that the children utilizing our infant spots will be in that spot for less time than they are now, thus opening up the spot more quickly for another infant? That's not a bad thing.
    I agree! If a child starts at 18 months it's not too long until they are no longer classified as infant and then if an older child leaves then the max length of time a spot is potentially open would be 6 months instead of the year.

What also might happen is it creates a greater short term turnover. Child goes to home daycare until they can get in a center in 6 months as opposed to a year.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I agree! If a child starts at 18 months it's not too long until they are no longer classified as infant and then if an older child leaves then the max length of time a spot is potentially open would be 6 months instead of the year.

What also might happen is it creates a greater short term turnover. Child goes to home daycare until they can get in a center in 6 months as opposed to a year.
    Do you mean parents using hdc from 18mths to 2 years than switching? This could happen but there's less centres that start at 2 years. Most seem to be 3 months or 18 months....which is an odd gap. To curb this for any situation, I think hdcp's who have a long term clause have the right idea to help minimize this from happening

Starting to feel at home...
    I want to throw my two cents in too. I agree a little with BrightSparks in this. I actually feel like with all the significant changes in Ontario, combined with all the negative media about home daycare, i think it has really de-valued our position in the community and more parents want to avoid the home day care option. I think that parents will start to simply "use" us as short term , until they can get into centers. I believe that home daycare setups that exist in general now, are being pushed out, and what will remain is the elite (where the parents will pay more for a small more customized care set up) and the illegal (where parents dont ask dont tell....until something goes wrong). I do believe that the all day kindergarten, in school before and after care from 6am- 6pm, bill 10 , and now extending mat leave, all within a few years, sends the general message, that home child care is not be desired, and the government is going to find a way to make so parents wont need it at all. I am in my 11th year in this business, and I honestly never had the issues with parents attitudes before that i have in the past couple years, and I think it all just boils down to the general idea that we are "just babysitters getting paid to stay at home"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    I want to throw my two cents in too. I agree a little with BrightSparks in this. I actually feel like with all the significant changes in Ontario, combined with all the negative media about home daycare, i think it has really de-valued our position in the community and more parents want to avoid the home day care option. I think that parents will start to simply "use" us as short term , until they can get into centers. I believe that home daycare setups that exist in general now, are being pushed out, and what will remain is the elite (where the parents will pay more for a small more customized care set up) and the illegal (where parents dont ask dont tell....until something goes wrong). I do believe that the all day kindergarten, in school before and after care from 6am- 6pm, bill 10 , and now extending mat leave, all within a few years, sends the general message, that home child care is not be desired, and the government is going to find a way to make so parents wont need it at all. I am in my 11th year in this business, and I honestly never had the issues with parents attitudes before that i have in the past couple years, and I think it all just boils down to the general idea that we are "just babysitters getting paid to stay at home"
    I never even mentioned the before and after school care, I had forgotten but you are right. There is now the legal obligation in Ontario to provide every child under the age of 6 with onsite before and after school care.

Expansive...
    I am not worried either as it will take a long time to change things and there will always be families that need to go back at 12 months

Outgoing
    this is based on a max salary of 50,800....so if one makes 100,000 they are only getting 55% of 50,800....spread that over 18 months???? guarantee they are going back to work early!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    this is based on a max salary of 50,800....so if one makes 100,000 they are only getting 55% of 50,800....spread that over 18 months???? guarantee they are going back to work early!
    I wonder what companies with top ups will do. Many companies with pay the extra for mat leave so employers stay at their full (or closer to) salary. But, I wonder if they would do with the 18 month mat leave.

Regardless, I still think only a small portion will opt to use this extended leave and it will be the families that can afford to be without income and needed the job security for the extra 6 months to remain home. I am sure there are some moms that return to work after the 12months not for the money but because they need to keep their job. If they can stay an extra 6 months and still have a job it would be great. But, this is the vast majority I am sure.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Do you mean parents using hdc from 18mths to 2 years than switching? This could happen but there's less centres that start at 2 years. Most seem to be 3 months or 18 months....which is an odd gap. To curb this for any situation, I think hdcp's who have a long term clause have the right idea to help minimize this from happening
    Yes that's what I mean. Any kids that I have had then switched to a centre were all because spots don't usually open in the centre until after aged 2. I at least had them for a year-year1/2. Adding the long term clause like some ladies do would definitely weed out those who are just waiting for the centre to open a spot