Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Daily communication reports

I'm curious as to how many of you provide parents with daily written reports of your child's day?
    I'm finding with 5 kids, my reports are taking me 1/2 of total nap time to complete. By the time I settle the kids for nap/load&unload a dishwasher/mop the floors/ and do the daily reports, I'm lucky to get 15 mins with a cup of tea to relax.
    If you do reports, how long does it take you to get them filled out for 5 kids?
    I'm thinking I need to eliminate alot of info. but I have picky clients who expect very detailed reports. Suggestions please??? Thanks!

I don't do them at all. I have a board at the front by the door that I'll put am activity pm activity in pt form like playgroup, outside play etc. And Nap times and snack and lunch times. All other info is told by verbal at the end of the day if pick up is to crazy I just text the mom later or during the day if something needs to be told like didn't nap didn't eat or got hurt.

Expansive...
    I'm spending about an hour, and it's getting rediculous!

Euphoric !
    i used to use small spiral notebooks from the dollar store ....i only wrote outside time (from/to) lunch (what we ate) nap (from/to) ...thats it .....took me about 10 mins max for all 5 ....i dont do them anymore cause i cant be bothered ....the parents know we go outside they know we ate and everyone naps ....if there is an issue then i address it at the door ...and really if they ate chicken for lunch and for dinner who cares

Outgoing
    I do 2 of 5 kids communication sheet now, but have done up to 5 usually for the first year child is here as parents like them. Also helps to track allergies. On small square of ppr I write initials of child,date,all they were offered for food and stroke off what they refused, if they slept, and if they had BM. can usually stop record sheet when child has been here a year or so but some parents want longer. And some don't need them at all. Love those ones. If my child was in daycare, I'd want the record sheet for awhile. Doesn't take me long and I fill them in daycare room while kids r playing. Yes, it wouldn frustrate me too if took up quiet time. Keep them as short as possible with just the absolute necessary info. I find the parents who want a very detaiied sheet are also the ones that send me pages of notes on their child prior to care starting. Some people like a lot of documentation but for your sanity, limit info.
    Oh, and I have a lot of dads picking up and mom wants record sheet as dad forgets what I've said by time they get home...
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 04-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't do them. Except perhaps for the new families who like the extra reassurance their child is doing ok, I find that most parents don't really care about them. It becomes repetitive. I'm not sure why parents need a written report every day that says that their child peed or pooped this many times, played outside, did a craft, ate lunch, napped for two hours, etc. Plus, I think it can actually bring unnecessary concern for parents if their child didn't have a "perfect" day (e.g. didn't eat all their meal, sleep as long as usual, or if they had a time out, etc.). If there is a concern, I want to talk about it verbally with the parent or even send an email or text during the daytime so that the parents can ask questions or comment on my concerns.

I have a white board in the hallway where I write what each child is running out of (diapers, wipes, clean clothes), one sentence which describes each child's naps or lack of, meals and bowel movements. I also run a daily private photo blog which I update through a blogspot app on my phone, requires almost no effort, all the parents have access to it and some relatives from far away with permission, huge plus for everyone.

Euphoric !
    I did in the beginning long notes about everything. after about 6months it became just a note book going back and forth where i only noted what each child ate, when they slept and any exciting or unusual things. It just takes too much time. I do think it is worthwhile when a new child starts to build a relationship with the family and let them feel they know what is going on on a daily basis. But it is really time consuming.

Euphoric !
    In centres we did this for kids under 2. If I remember, we included snacks, lunch, how much formula/milk, diaper changes, what we did for art and maybe how long we were outside? I can't remember if anything else was recorded. Oh, if they needed more supplies. It was annoying lol. I don't do this at my hdc but I have done the whiteboard before. Now I just update my dc fb page daily

Expansive...
    I hear you as I do them everyday - I have infant/toddlers so I feel it is important for the parents to know about the day for their child but I do try and keep it just 20 to 30 mins as I like to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea after that just like you

I find it easier to just do it as things happen and it is almost complete by nap time rather than waiting for nap time