Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    If they supply it, than yes I'd give it to him. I wouldn't have an issue with other kids wanting one too because here they learn that things aren't always equal. That may sound harsh to others but in reality, it's life and I teach that lesson early lol. We don't always get what our friend has and that's just the way it is. However, I also have my dc set up in a way that this wouldn't inconvenience me or the kids. If it did, than I don't think it would be unfair to say no
    Totally agree with what you said here. It's best to let them see that's life. Besides once they get to kindergarten, they'll be bringing their own lunches and snacks to school which will all be different from eachother. This makes me wish we could stop providing snacks and meals for daycare kids and just have parents jump right in at the start and provide them for daycare since they will have to make that change for school in a few years anyway. IMO it's a bonus all around. Caregivers wouldn't have the expense (although would still have cleanup but that's fine), Parents would know and choose what their child is getting, and child will have foods that they're used to. If this were the situation, I'd be happy to provide a speacial lunch at the end of each month such as pizza simillar to pizza day at school.

Euphoric !
    For myself it's not so much that the kids eat different things as though them not understanding why one gets fed more than them. It's more about the routine of daycare IMO. If one gets an additional snack then they all should get the option.

I once let a family bring their 2 kids breakfast and let me tell you it was the worst thing I did. Timbits and chocolate milk on a regular basis was not my idea of a good breakfast. And of course the other kids were upset they didn't get the treat! I put a stop to it and they just ate it in the car before coming in instead. At least I didn't have the mess or other upset kids to worry about.

Interested to know what you decided to do?

Expansive...
    I've given him a drink, but not extra food. At home he's fed something about every 70 minutes he's awake. His intake here is the same/more than the preschoolers. I don't think he needs feeding that often. It is disruptive, as food is served in the kitchen, and I'm trying to supervise the playroom with 4 other kids. I can't be 2 places at once.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For myself, we have routine and structure BUT at the same time, I respect that everyone is different. Some kids eat more often than others and if it was needed, I don't mind. The other kids of course will ask why but I'd answer them and move on. Just another life lesson IMO.

As long as it works for you and the family, great!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I've given him a drink, but not extra food. At home he's fed something about every 70 minutes he's awake. His intake here is the same/more than the preschoolers. I don't think he needs feeding that often. It is disruptive, as food is served in the kitchen, and I'm trying to supervise the playroom with 4 other kids. I can't be 2 places at once.
    Exactly why I would not do it. It is disruptive and you have a schedule/program to run! Good for you.

Expansive...
    I have four 1 year olds and I would not be able to put one child up in the high chair and leave the others down ,it seems unfair to the others so I agree with you a drink is fine

Gahh...another case of difference in parenting that has me shaking my head...Like others have said, you have one schedule for all kids to be on and that includes meals and snacks. Extra is not and should not be made available. If this is truly a requirement then they need to find alternative childcare that can accommodate this request.

Euphoric !
    I don't recall hearing the OP mentioning that this child NEEDS food more often. You've noted the child eats well at your meals and the parent feels the child needs more food and that at home the child if fed every 70 minutes. But, unless this child is showing you obvious signs of being distressed from hunger then I don't think there is anything more to do than to tell the parent they can provide some healthy snacks for you to store should the child appear to be hungry between meals provided but that your observations have been that the child is happily playing and is eating well at the table.

Should the child be showing signs of hunger you can decide whether or not YOU want to accommodate or be firm on your current practices. There is nothing wrong with saying it is not an option in your care. Most home providers and surely daycare centers would not be considering this parent request (especially without the child showing signs of hunger).

Expansive...
    No definite hunger signs that I've seen. Like I said, if the 2-4 year olds can remain full on my servings, I don't know why a 12 month old can't do the same.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    No definite hunger signs that I've seen. Like I said, if the 2-4 year olds can remain full on my servings, I don't know why a 12 month old can't do the same.
    Well, it totally depends on a child's metabolism and how efficiently they burn energy. Also 2 years olds require LESS than a 1 year old. One year olds are still growing at a fast pace and 2 yr olds hit that pause in the physical growth so they require less food.

Some kids need little some need lots. So age isn't really a definite factor. My 3 yr old has always eaten wayyyy more than the average child. We've taken her the pediatric dietitian (more than once) and we are consistently told to trust her judgement on how much she needs to be full. BUT I can assure you the dietitian would not condone feeding a child every 70minutes AND that the foods provided NEED to be foods the adult chooses to serve and not what a child wants/requests. Our daughter eats hummus by the cupful and beans by the bowlful. But she has very little breads and crackers offered as that isn't what she NEEDS.

I would stick to reassuring the family that the child does not show signs of hunger and that the child is eating enough at meals. If you use statements comparing the child's intake to older kids then they have something to challenge you on.