Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    A news link about a daycare that just started charging $300/child/one hr late near Toronto

http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/201...ent-late-fees/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Van

Outgoing
    My Goodness, I think I have been spoiled during all these years of work in the field. I do not have a manual (I thought in developing one, but always felt not needed); my contract is simple and clear four pages at the most point form.

I take most time conecting with parents; kind of helping each other relationship, I'm sincere of all the ins and outs of our work (reason why they're never late at pick up); I have started a extraclothing bank; little ones that grow up donate extra clothing for the coming babies, so we have a closet full of extra clothing and diapers for any age (so new parents aren't estressed out but, they always remember to bring extras next time; if they don't, it doesn't bother me to let use the daycare donated clothing, it is better for the environment I believe and also less headaches and frustrations for me; my days go smooth); I let them bring toys from home but, there is a sharing rule here during circle time we pass it on, we learn to respect and appreciate and return the toy, if it is a really especial toy (meaning not wanting to share later on, then the child chooses to keep it in her/his cubby until parents are back). It is amazing how they learn these concepts at early age.

The parents lately keep eyes open for sales of mittens, socks etc and they also swap their kids clothing and they bring extras for the group. They remember how they were helped at the beginning and they do the same for the next new families. They have learned to communicate to each other and shareD information. Every group I had they have stablished close friendships. Basically when a new family comes to the group the parents support them one way or another. They also let me know that a centre based or school is absolutely different from what we have here, and they value it;0)

So, I still debating in doing a hand book or not. I'm afraid that the formality of it, would change or affect of what I have now. I'm aware that they now see me as a warm caring person and I think (maybe I'm wrong) a hand book will portray me as a cold business oriented woman (especially when meeting new families).

I also keep them updated of any spot inquires, so, they know that if by any means our agreement doesn't suit them or suit me then there is people out waiting for a spot here. No issues at all.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 10-07-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    Are you having an easy time leaving your agency?
    I thought it was hard to leave them?
    If you are in Ontario, I think that now would be hard to leave them because, they're getting extra grants for home enrollments. And that's the reason that some of them are currently offering "free licensing".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Van

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    only 2 weeks of discounted rate for vacations (after that they pay full rate to hold their spot
    I do not.think it should be discounted; perhaps you can organize a same two weeks off for all your group, that way you still get paid and parents do not need to look for extra care when they're in holidays (summer break); I let parents choose the dates and we all agree to be out the same days. And the summer break dates are set at the beginning of the year so they can book it at their work.

If you still have issues with parents picking up late, do jot frustrate yourself start looking for new families and find the ones that value what you do. Sometimes is best to end in good terms than in bad ones, it is not worth the frustration and your valuable time. Late drOP offs doesn't bother me they all know I wait 1 HR st the most (while doing circle or craft); then they can figure it out how to find me. Either local parks or playgroups they also know I do not pay attention to phone calls or emails during my hours of work (caring for children need my absolute attention); so they all know my phone check ups are five minutes before I start then at 1:30 (nap time) pretty much before I start I know who's going to be late.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    Are you having an easy time leaving your agency?
    I thought it was hard to leave them?
    Agencies work differently depending on province. Some pay their agency or they take cut in fees. In PEI, we don't pay for agency. Agency is private company but licensed and makes money not from their dayhomes but from government grants based on how many homes they have under their care.

It simply a matter of telling an agency that they no longer wanted and for some, waiting a notice period here. We can opt in and out of agency as we wish but I imagine if done too often an agency might not want work with us.

Only potential complication is subsidy clients as here need the agency to process the government portion of fees. For a dayhome to switch to private, they would need to wait until no client's getting subsidy or inform parents they switching to private care so subsidy clients get notice to find alternative carer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Van

Expansive...
    In BC you don't need an agency as we go with the Licence officer.
    and the parents can apply for subsidy at all daycares not just lic daycare, plus all daycares are Lic and are visited by the Lic officer except the Lic Not Required daycares that only have 2 children plus their own ( LNR)
    Last edited by Van; 10-10-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    A news link about a daycare that just started charging $300/child/one hr late near Toronto

http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/201...ent-late-fees/
    Yes ebhappydc I saw this too on city news and the parent was complaining that it was too much as it would mean she would have to pay $600 - but that would be over the one hour late fee.
    all it takes is a crash on the highway like they had during week in Toronto to be late for daycare pick-up.
    Thanks for the link

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWagon8823 View Post
    I have been think of creating a handbook. Does everyone find it more helpful? I want to add a little more professionalism to my daycare so I think it was be a good idea.
    I find it very helpful for parents to read as it covers any questions the parents may have and it looks professional .