Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I wanna quit!! :(

Urgh! I am having the worst day and I need to vent and it's only 816 in the morning! Lol.

First I scared my cat off my kitchen table because he was eating my flowers and he left behind huge deep scratches

Second I have had a flu go through last wk, 4 daycare kids, my own daughter and now one parent today has it. One parent dropping off at the same time as another overheard mom saying her kids got it Friday night but then was fine on the wkend. She then texted me lots this morning saying she better not have been lieing and brought her kids sick with the flu or I am going to have choice words with her. I wrote back saying I am the caregiver and if I felt if they shouldn't be here then I will take care of it. Urgh!!!

Thirdly my new one yr has ripped ALL my good new books. I ask mom if she does this at home and she says oh ya I have to hide all the books from her......well thanks for warning me! All my new books....hundreds to replace them sniff!

I just feel like I want my house back. No more kids ripping, wreaking my things. I wish my home was bigger so the space can be separate. My coffee table is so badly marked up from toys . Just want my sanity and space back and not have germy kids come through my home and not have to deal with all the crazy moms!

I wish I could be a stay at home mom!! Oh the dream!! Sigh.

Thanks for letting me vent....hope ur day is better!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I feel your pain...I definitely have days like this!

First of all, I have my daycare in the basement and only keep things (furniture, etc...) down there that I don't mind being scratched up. My good stuff is upstairs in our family space, which the kids don't play in.
    As for the books, I learned my lesson a long time ago. I keep the board and fabric books in reach for the little ones and the good books, I keep up high on the book shelf for storytimes.

I have learned over the years that it is normal to doubt or complain about this particular career choice. I mean, if it isn't the kids driving you crazy, it's the parents, lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately we don't have a basement to use . And all the books she wreaked were all BOARD books. This kid is crazy! Lol. I agree if its not the kids it's the parents!! Thank u for ur response!

I can completely understand how you feel as well. Been there many times. I also keep the board books down low and the good books up on a high shelf. I love being able to be here for my own kids and it's a great opportunity to be able to do that and earn a decent income at the same time. But I really miss my home just being my home. I'm a pretty private person and I really hate having people in my home when they're not close friends or family but that's par for the course. I recently had a parent come by early for pick up. We were not even here as we were out for a walk and my hubby was working in the garage. This parent walked right in my house went through to the back apparently thinking we were playing in the backyard. She scared hubby as he didn't even know she was here and she didn't even knock or anything. I hate when they think they can just walk in. First and foremost this is our HOME.

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh my gosh, Daycare Momma, I would not be happy if one of my daycare parents just walked through my house without even knocking! Their kids may be with me, but it is still my home and my husband and teenage son would not appreciate having some parent just walk in on their own!
    That is a rule that I would not be lenient about. I have been a daycare parent as well and would never of just walked in without knocking!

Definitely one of those Mondays for me too...All tears, screaming crying, teething, separation anxiety, my own teenage daughter not feeling great who missed the bus when I don't have the ability to drive her at the moment and right at the time another screamer is dropped off. Bottle feeding a sick puppy too means that routine and sticking to schedule is very important but nobody wants to play ball today lol. I feel an early lunch is in my near future lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Glad I'm not the only one!! All my parents just walk in too. Like seriously I'm not a Center, it's my home! I have to keep my doors lock or I get caught of guard all the time!

Euphoric !
    I allow my parents to just walk in because I'm not running to the door every time they come and sometimes I'm busy and can't answer the door. I ask that they knock or ring the doorbell though. Yes it's my home but during the day, it's also my business. I try to keep that in mind when I get frustrated lol.

I rarely buy new books (all gently used) but that still doesn't mean they can break them. I'd be very upset. Books are like any other toy and they are not to break, step on or mistreat. I also just have board books but a few have been broken so I feel your pain!!

Every job has it's pros and cons and it's not always greener on the other side. I think when we feel frustrated with our current situation we need to address why and fix the problems if we can. If we can't, than making a list of pros and cons is a good idea and if it's time to find another career, than so be it! We work with children and they deserve the very best of us. If we no longer enjoy or can offer the environment they need/want/deserve than there's no point in being open IMO. I think we likely all have that moment of "screw this job, I'm quitting" and there's nothing wrong with that. I haven't had that moment since opening my hdc but definitely have felt this way with other jobs!!

Agree agree lol

I also leave my door unlock during the hr of drop off and pick up so I dont have to run to it. But no one knocks they just walk in and yell hello lol. Ive learned to lock it after that hr in the morning as unannounced parents just drop by cuz they forgot to bring diapers or are picking up early they don't text just come and walk in so now I lock after everyone is here in the morning.

I agree the kids deserve the best of u and the parents pay for a good service. Thankfully after a bad start to my day even know I feel I wanna quit I still carry on my day and do what I am suppose to do include loving the little one who broke my books

I think the problem I am having is the space. I constantly think I want to go back to be a nanny then I'll get my home back but think no I want to be home for my daughter and not have to travel in winter and be my own boss. I love daycare and still want to do it but lately I am finding it hard as I have no where to go after work. My entire home is used for daycare. Everywhere u look there are toys, high chairs, cots, Playpens, soothers, bottles, strollers, coats, little shoes, diapers, clothes, etc, etc! I have no space to go "turn off" from the day. I wish my home was bigger so I could leave work and go to my home space and be with my family. Something I'm hoping can happen. After we are finished renting this home im hoping we can rent a bigger home with a daycare space and a home space

Expansive...
    I love my books so I feel for you - I had babies tear board books, even this week and I just patch them up until they can't be fixed and then I recycle them then I get another batch from my 2nd hand books store or where ever I find them
    also if you are into buying books from Scholastic as I do for your daycare they have special end of the school year in June so you could apply now and buy them cheaper than other times
    I keep my circle time books away from kids and just give them the older books

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: