Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

9 month old and finger foods

I have a none month old who just started with me and so far he has only eaten purees and bottles. His parents tried some puffs with him over the weekend and packed some for him, but he doesn't seem to know how to pick them up. He just looks at them and gets upset. I have nother nine month old who eats everything himself and has pretty much never eaten purees. I know each child is different, but any advice on how I can encourage this little guy to try picking up the food would be welcome

Shy
    I have a 7 month old that only eats puree's and bottles. Today I gave her a cookie and she threw it on the floor. I tried again and broke off a small piece and put it in her mouth and after that she held onto the cookie and was sucking on it and such.

He probably just hasn't figured out that he needs to put it in his mouth yet. I would suggest from my experience today, put it on the tray and show them to him, put one in his mouth and hopefully he will associate it with being food.

Good Luck!

Euphoric !
    I am finding this 9 month old kind of behind in most physical areas. He is sitting up, but not very steadily (he is easily knocked over). He does not lift his arms to be picked up, but is rather limp when I pick him up (and heavy!). He can roll over, but other than that is not very active (not much kicking or waving arms etc). He has not mastered the pincer grasp either, which is part of the problem with the finger foods. He sleeps a lot, which may be why he isn't as good at these things, but I am suspecting that his parents may use exersaucers, bumbos, etc a lot as he seems quite comfortable when I put him one. I try to give him as much time as possible on the floor to strengthen his muscles, but I only have him 3 days a week. I did put some puffs in his mouth, but he still didn't get how he should pick them up. I think I will try taking his hand and teaching him to pick them up and see if that helps. He can eat mum mums, which is the only other thing his parents have given him. They think that since he has no teeth, he cannot eat finger foods. I told them they can gum things, but I don't think they were convinced. I guess it may be slow progress.

Euphoric !
    If you put him in the highchair while you are making lunch it will be before he is so hungry he doesn't have time to chew. Make sure he has had a drink so again hunger pangs are gone and system is moistened a bit. Then just let him play and experiment. Maybe try the cheerio like ones first - there are baby ones that supposedly dissolve faster but regular cheerios work fine for most kids. The cheerios are easier to sort of poke and stab at with the finger and get it on like ring that then takes it to the mouth. Being like a donut they aren't solid so less choking risk.

Over time give him other foods like cooked veggies, cracker bits to play with and he will get the hang of it. Try mixing some mashed veggies into the puree to thicken and texture it so he gets more used to using his tongue - very important if he is behind.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Finger foods are fine for play or experimentation, but they are by no means necessary at this age. This child is not behind as far as this goes. Personally, we don't even introduce any kind of solid until well after the first year. I would not worry about this at all.

Expansive...
    I sort of agree with Alphagetti but once again it all depnds on the child. I used to watch a 9 month old who had most of his teeth and he was ready for most foods, I just diced them up to ensure no choking.

If this child has zero teeth just encourage them picking up puffs & soft starter foods to gain the skills to start feeding themselves. Chocking hazzards are so scary so why rush!