Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

18 month old potty question

Hi all,
    So my contract says nothing about potty training (thought I'd cross that bridge when I'd get to it). With two one years olds I thought I'd have time. One of my families has started training their 18 month old. She asks for the potty, but it's always after the deed is done, i peek in the diaper, and there it is. She continues asking for the potty, then whines and SCREAMS until she gets onto the potty, which results in poop all over said potty. Now, I'm pretty sure this girl ain't ready, but the parents are the hyer competitive type (our child potty trained before everyone else in the world....yada, yada), so they won't hear it.
    This is a short term issue (until the end of the month), as I've terminated the contract with one month notice (the parents have been unkind, dishonest, micromanaging, and disrespectful).
    For the remaining days of the month, what would you do with the 18 month old's potty issue?

I personally would decline toilet training to the parents and say that should they wish to train at home that is of no concern of yours but at daycare you will not be potty training.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I wouldn't entertain the thought of potty training until at least 2 yrs. The parents also have to stay home for one week to train the child at home first(in my contract) No way!

Euphoric !
    It would totally depend on what is going on in the room at the time. I would only EVER put an 18month old that just soiled themselves on the potty AFTER being cleaned. I wouldn't just strip the diaper off and plop them on making a mess.

If it isn't too chaotic and the child is used to going on the potty at home I don't see too much harm in doing a partial diaper change, plopping her on the potty for a minute then saying all done, you already pooped in your diaper, no more poop for the potty and finish the diaper change.

THAT SAID...not sure I would put that extra effort in to a child that is leaving the program. So again, it would totally depend on how much time and energy you have. But, keep in mind it might save you time and stress by putting her on to satisfy her apparent need to go on it after soiling herself (and quiet her). As much as she is young and may not be ready she has clued in enough to say potty after having a poop...and that is indeed a sign of becoming aware and with the right approach it could very well lead to an early trained child. BUT...since the child will soon be gone that doesn't benefit you!

Euphoric !
    Agree with leebee. I'd put her on but only after cleaned. 18 months isn't that young to start IMO. With leaving soon though, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. She shouldn't suffer though because of her parents behaviour.

Euphoric !
    I would never put soiled child on anything to sit. Surely first action with soiled child at any age is get them cleaned?

At 18 months, she little younger than I would toilet train and personally, if she knows she is soiled, even if she miscommunicating need to go after she's already soiled then I do think she could be trained.

That said, for someone who leaving in few week, why put yourself through that?

I've had couple of littles leave soon after I toilet trained and that super annoying because being here most of day, of course more effort put in here than home where child has less waking hour. To toilet train one younger than normal, when they leaving, I wouldn't be doing that as I tend to plan around toilet train for first couple weeks so we close to home. Why put other children's schedule out for someone who leaving soon anyway.

Starting to feel at home...
    My oldest had clear interest before 18mo (so we put out a potty and talked about it) and she was ready at 19mo (she pulled off her diaper by herself and peed in the potty), so I don't think it's too young-all depends on the child. And at the early stage of becoming aware of her body, it's hard for her to tell you before it happens, but she's connected where it was supposed to go-which explains her insistent screaming.

I would clean her up then put her on if she's asking. I wouldn't work further on offering or training if she's only there a few more weeks. Only if she asks, and if her bottom is clean.

Thanks all for input. Yes, Lee-Bee, there's a lot going on in the room, which is a huge part of my question. While I wipe her before sitting her on the potty, she's up and down on the thing until she's finished which is resulting in the mess - she gets all excited and wants to show everyone as it's happening. And when I have to leave the room to go empty and clean the potty all hell breaks loose in the room (her older sister is quite sneaky and waits to do something mean once she thinks I'm not looking - which I'm not when I'm dealing with the potty). Yes, it is a lot of effort for a family leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kath View Post
    Thanks all for input. Yes, Lee-Bee, there's a lot going on in the room, which is a huge part of my question. While I wipe her before sitting her on the potty, she's up and down on the thing until she's finished which is resulting in the mess - she gets all excited and wants to show everyone as it's happening. And when I have to leave the room to go empty and clean the potty all hell breaks loose in the room (her older sister is quite sneaky and waits to do something mean once she thinks I'm not looking - which I'm not when I'm dealing with the potty). Yes, it is a lot of effort for a family leaving.
    I personally would not put in the effort for a child under 2 yrs old unless they were clearly ready but definitely not for a child who is expected to leave the program soon. I agree that the child shouldn't suffer for parents behaviour but in this case I don't think the child will suffer in any way. Besides it's up to the parents to get a good potty training start going at home before I would even consider assisting at daycare.

Euphoric !
    My contract reads that I won't train until after 2. They can do what they want at home but in reality she is just learning about the potty from 18 months to 2 and will not likely truly be trained that early.

With them leaving I personally would not put in an effort to go on the potty. I also do not ever train on a potty- real toilet only.