Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I was wondering the same thing? Why leaving? If your little girl has already been there for two yrs and you are worried you are going to upset her by leaving then y? If it's issues with the provider, surely after two yrs U'd have the relationship to go talk it out and maybe fix things before thinking of leaving. If it's just because of hrs or location then be honest and let her know. Yes some caregivers will think of themselves and fill the spot if it comes along before u give notice but also there are a lot of caregivers out there that love their clients and will cherish the last days with the child and not fill the spot till an end date is given. Either way I don't think u have a way around this unless u lie to your little girl that you are just visiting new ppl. You need to bring ur daughter to meet the caregivers. Best of luck!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Most providers will not sign on a client before meeting the child. If your child is a preschooler, then she should be verbal enough, to be able to go on visits with you and give you feedback about which one she like best(in addition to your own impression of the providers) Be honest with your provider. Don't put added stress on your child to keep it a secret from the current provider.

Shy
    To be honest, I didn't originally want to share why we want to change daycares because I didn't want it somehow turn into a "she's right, you're wrong" debate or to hear that we should be doing things differently. We're just really butting heads on a lot of different issues. And this is a case where there was no contract, so we didn't know going in that this was what to expect. We still respect her and wish her all the best going forward. We just realized that we need to find someone whose thoughts and way of doing things better align with ours.
    Last edited by lisapisa; 05-11-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by lisapisa View Post
    To be honest, I didn't originally want to share why we want to change daycares because I didn't want it somehow turn into a "she's right, you're wrong" debate or to hear that we should be doing things differently. We're just really butting heads on a lot of different issues. And this is a case where there was no contract, so we didn't know going in that this was what to expect. We still respect her and wish her all the best going forward. We just realized that we need to find someone whose thoughts and way of doing things better align with ours.
    I respect you for not "bashing" your current provider and also for recognizing that it's best just to leave. Some parents try to get us to change our ways to accommodate them, not giving any thought to as why we do things the way we do and without thinking of the other kids in our care. Sometimes there isn't a right and wrong way, just different approaches and if you think finding a dc that better matches your approach is best, nobody can blame you for that!

You say there isn't a contract but also mention that you need to give 4+ weeks of withdrawal. If there is a bit of a contract, just make sure you follow the rules and the provider will just have to be okay with that. A month is typically plenty of time to find new clients but to be honest, it's not your concern anyways so don't worry. You are right that we all need to look out for ourselves first and in your case, it's your daughters best interest that you need to be worried about.

I would bring your daughter along and just call it a play date or meeting mommy's new friend. If you do find a better dc just be prepared that you may have to pay 2 dc's at once to guarantee the new spot and still adhere to your current providers contract/withdrawl notice. Good luck!!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by lisapisa View Post
    We're just really butting heads on a lot of different issues. .
    Yes it is time to leave when butting heads so maybe hold off telling her till you do find a daycare you like and give your notice then
    focus on finding one quickly as you don't need to drag it on and the stress that goes with it
    Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Not specifically daycare....but when I worked as a nanny, I was laid-off because they didn't need me anymore. (Kids were school aged when I started and I'd been with them for 2 years.) They also told me at the time that the kids had known for some time but asked them not to say anything to me. And they didn't. Honestly, that was the most upsetting thing. They wanted their children to be dishonest, and I think here, the best thing is to be honest all around. If you intend to honour the 4 weeks notice when the time comes, tell the DCP that. I believe, most reasonable people will appreciate the advanced notice.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    There is nothing more upsetting than being blindsided by a family where you think everything is going great! I have had it happen a few times. I really can't say which way would be best. My guess is that because you are butting heads that she might see it coming and possibly be relieved if you go. It's hard to say but definitely telling your child to lie is not the best way. Just make sure and give your proper notice, even a nice card/gift when you leave, keep things on a positive note. Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    i think you shoul just say to your child that your meeting a new friend and leave it at that...no point confusing or upsetting your child ..when you find the one you want to send your child to then give your notice ....

If I were the child care provider I appreciate the fore warning and would understand and respect ur choice. As for bringing your daughter with you . Why not involve the child in the transition. I'm not expert but hope that helps

This theme is so important that i actually want to take mt child back to the another daycare on Ontario