Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Central thread for daycare insurance 2016 by province

How do people feel about having a central thread for insurance providers by province? I know it is a common question people ask about home daycare insurance, who covers and how much coverage. I have been looking through multiple threads and there are some definite discrepancies between peoples experiences with the same insurers, e.g one person says 5 kids plus own, another says 5 including own, and both are with the same insurer and were in the same province. It's also a way of having the most up to date information which could be edited annually or as needed should insurance coverage change. I think it would be helpful to have a thread per province that people can contribute to and that way when someone searches "home daycare insurance (Province)" then the relative threads will pop up rather than searching through multiple threads with mixed provinces, frequently not made clear where a provider is either.

Let me know your thoughts

I just spoke to The Cooperators and in Ontario they will only cover up to 4 children plus your own on a home insurance daycare ryder and they will not insure you if there is a pool onsite. They will not cover 5 children under any circumstances and would refer the person enquiring to the commercial insurance dept. I am however under the impression that we do not qualify, at least in ON, for commercial insurance as our business' are not licensed or registered as we are sole proprietors.

State Farm/Certa in Ontario will cover 5 children plus your own and will also allow a pool onsite.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    State Farm/Certa in Ontario will cover 5 children plus your own and will also allow a pool onsite.
    State Farm will also cover up to 6 children if you are with a licensed agency.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for updating that!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I just spoke to The Cooperators and in Ontario they will only cover up to 4 children plus your own on a home insurance daycare ryder and they will not insure you if there is a pool onsite. They will not cover 5 children under any circumstances and would refer the person enquiring to the commercial insurance dept. I am however under the impression that we do not qualify, at least in ON, for commercial insurance as our business' are not licensed or registered as we are sole proprietors.
    This same here if you just speak to agent. Find a good agent, ask them speak to the underwriters of co-operator insurance and ask for cover of all. I got 6 cover even though the initial response was 4 and it show as business insurance on policy. When was with Wawanesa, their show as separate line on house policy that called "daycare insurance" but they now only cover 4 even for those like me was grandfathered in until this year.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    Not in PEI. State Farm only cover 5 here. This might be provincial differences for this insurance. I just been through exercise of change insurance which renewal date was tomorrow.

I really think limits change by province and not apply across country.

In recent calls made this month, for PEI dayhomes, the limit is :-

Co-operators
    Will say 4 but if you ask them speak to underwriters, they will cover 6.

TD
    Will cover 6 but very inconsistent when call so keep calling until get someone who checks because it is limit 6.

Aviva
    Cover 5 including household children

Wawanesa
    Cover 4 daycare client - household children not counted. Until recently did have some day homes with cover for 6 which grandfathered in from 2010 change to 4 but no longer covering grandfathered numbers.

RBC Insurance
    Will not cover any home based business on house insurance

All State
    Will cover 5. Household children not included.

State Farm
    Will cover 5. Household children not included.

I not have trampoline or pool but every insurance I called ask if I did. Not sure if this mean they not cover these at all or if there extra fees for it.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 05-30-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Outgoing
    How do people feel about having a central thread for insurance providers by province?
    You could refer this question to the admin. Insurance could be a topic and each province could have their own thread, like you suggested. I could start the Quebec one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post: