Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: School Drop-off

Starting to feel at home...

School Drop-off

I have agreed to walk a grade 1 child to school this fall, but in order to get back in time for another younger child's drop off, I'd have to drop the child off at school 15 minutes early. According to the school, they will have supervision on the playground at this time. And my initial thought that the extra 15 minutes of fresh air and play is good. However the parents seem disappointed that it wasn't going to be closer to the bell since their child is going to be there before all the bussed students arrive and in the colder months, many parents don't drop their kids off until the last minute. I think they worry that their child is going to be the only one there for the first several minutes (which will feel like a lifetime to a 6 year old).

I know that it end, they are going to have to decide if it's something they can accept. But I was just curious, do you think arriving to school 15 minutes is too early?
    Last edited by MommaL; 06-03-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Personally no. My daughters school starts at 830 and teachers are out on the yard at 815 with the buses arriving at 820. Many times I've dropped my daughter off at 815 and there are many kids there already even a bus that arrives early all the time. But in the end the parents have to be comfortable with it. U can only do what u can. So make it clear that u can only drop off 15mins early and leave it to them to decide if that's ok or not.

Euphoric !
    I think it might be long time in Winter. That said, you are offering service that maybe you not normally do. The parent have understand that you operating group care and although try make timing work for all, there have be some compromise. As much they might like to think you able to time think exactly as they want, it not always possible. Other parent might like 15 min adjustment to meal and lunches but can't always be done.

They know there reason for timing and they know you need be somewhere else for other child. They have now decide if they can live with the offer or not but it not sound like something you able to change.

Euphoric !
    In the schools I taught at they pulled the children in 15min early in the winter when it is too cold. The teachers still supervise with the children in the classrooms. So, while the child may not have some of their friends there the child would never be in any danger due to weather or anything.

As mentioned, the parents will just need to decide if it is something they can get used to. I too agree that those extra 15min outside are worthwhile for any child about to spend so much time in a classroom!

Euphoric !
    I don't think 15 minutes is long at all! On the extremely cold days, I know the schools here will open the doors a bit earlier but honestly, if a child is dressed warm enough, it wouldn't be that big of an issue in the grand scheme of things compared to trying to find another spot in a daycare.

Euphoric !
    It's really fine. As long as the school is aware that the child is there then no problem. You can offer what you can offer and the parents are either on board with it or they can make other arrangements