Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Children's supplies

How many of you ask parents to send supplies for their children beyond diapers/extra clothes?

I've had it in my handbook that they should send a spill proof cup for water, a bib/smock for art/messy food and a change of clothes to stay here. In their daily bag they send diapers and a change of clothes, plus outdoor clothes and sunblock. I'm really irritated with some of their choices (dollar store bibs that rip, leaking cups, scented sunblock, hats that don't stay on, etc). Should I just suck up the expense and buy the products I want to use? Or should I suggest certain brands in my handbook? A local dayhome that does a 'nature-based' program charges a registration fee that is used to buy a muddy buddy (rainsuit), spill proof insulated cup and a notebook, and the child keeps those items when they leave.

What do you do?

Euphoric !
    I provide all bibs and dishes etc. I have lucked out with all parents being more than willing to buy my recommended brands for things like hats (that stay on) and rainsuits etc.

I provide sunscreen but parents can send their preferred brand if they so choose. I spent a good amount of time researching a decently 'safe' sunscreen that is easily available and not overly expensive. My friends recently commented that her really expensive supposedly better sunscreen had poorer ratings for use of chemicals on the EWG website...so I like mine!

As much as it sucks as an upfront cost I think providing cups and bibs is just part of the job. BUT I realize that for some in areas where the daily fees is less it might make sense to have parents provide some items to help keep your costs down. If you take this route then you just have to accept that parents will often provide the cheapest items possible. You can't force them to spend more so need to choose accepting the cheaper items or providing them yourself.

I don't thing charging an upfront fee for those items is wise if those same families are buying the cheapest items available. The families that will accept this upfront fee for supplies are likely the families that willingly buy the quality items requested!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I provide sunscreen, cups, aprons, bibs etc. To me, this just part of equipment needed like crib and high chair.

Like Lee-Bee, if parent not want the brand I provide, they can bring own in daily bag. I just factor in cost of these into my fee like other business cost. I agree that if you expect parent to provide, then you not get a say in how much they spend because not know their budget. Most parent would expect provide diaper and wipes but normally all other provision included in daycare fees.

I not charge for crafts, crayons, paper, or anything other than the fee.

My friend charges a fee each summer for sunscreen but she finds the lower income families always forget even if reminded and those who value it, always pay prompt. It always end up that some of her family paid and some haven't. I think she might as well factor that in with her costs - maybe it be $50 a summer between every child - $1 a week for all the children. And can claim as business expense which is much easier than getting frustrated with lack of supplies or poor quality supplies.

I supply everything but clothes and diapers. And homo milk and/or baby food.

Euphoric !
    I supply bibs. Parents are asked to supply a sippy cup but I do have some here if I do not like the kind sent (and if I see the child has trouble with the one mom supplies). I supply bug spray and sunscreen but charge an additional $10 fee every April to cover the cost of purchasing it. I have smocks here but use them too often as I am not a big fan of overly messy art! Lol. I also don't do art with kids under 2 unless it's handprint stuff for special occasions. I have a bin here for each child to keep extra clothing in. As far as hats go I send out a newsletter usually monthly detailing things I want - for hats I ask for wide brim hats with Velcro ties under the chin.

Thanks for your input, ladies! I removed the bib and cup from my handbook. Now I only require a change of clothes be left here (on their shelf). I found a great deal on kids contigo water bottles at costco, for the big kids, and bought more of my favourite smocks and sippies. Tax write off, plus my own kids needed cups, and definitely less hassle than asking for anything from parents...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Parents supply diapers, change of clothes and hats, mitts, toques, bathing suits etc. i ask that a lot of this stay here but some take them home daily. I also ask for a sippy cup if young because some kids have a preference and they are pricey. If they just need a water bottle, I supply them.

However, I have a stash of shoes, hats, mitts, toques, neck warmers, bathing suits, hooded towels etc here in case of forgotten items or if what they sent annoys me lol.

Things like muddy buddies, bibs, smocks, sunscreen etc is bought by me and is daycares. I figure it's just cost of running business and I factor this into my daily fee.

I personally would rather have things I like and prefer because it is me that deals with the kids 9 hours a day. I do send a detailed list of winter items as I hate fleece mittens, flimsy boots, scarves, short mitts etc. but I have spares here that I really like and I've found cheap.

Hello, friends! At present, children are addicted to laptops, tablets, and the Internet, they always sit at home involved in the virtual reality, this can aggravate their health and leads to diverse illnesses, if you're anxious, follow this source to find out how to avoid it http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/why-c...-time-outdoors

Reported as spam

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lemondrop For This Useful Post: