Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Not sure what province you are in but it seems like this is a misinterpretation of the written guidelines.

I don't see why one can't have a home daycare in a suite within a house. But I can see the written guidelines saying something about not allowing a home daycare in a suite of a house that also has a home daycare (it's one home daycare per roof). Something like that.

I would find the written policies and ensure you are interpreting it correctly before closing your business.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes interested in seeing this as well. My daycare is strictly in my basement. I have a kitchenette we installed. I have a sink, cupboards, and a microwave. I use a hot plate/electric frying pan on the counter to cook or my oven upstairs. I have a fridge in my laundry room. My basement could completely be used as a suite if we wanted to (other than no 2nd entrance and no actual stove).

Can you post more info?

Starting to feel at home...
    thanks Lee-Bee yes I need to have the facts clear before making a move like that, this a new program I'm gathering info as well, but it's quite confusing. But if you find any info will be much appreciated. I understand that if you have a secondary suite you may use it for home daycare no problem. This is for family daycares that run it through their actual home basement in their kitchen area.

Euphoric !
    Littlefish - a few ask what province you in so we can try find this and help. A few ask for links to what you talk about. Can you give some information?

BC I don't have a link but you can google it just by typing secondary suites! It may no be in your province! I have asked but nobody knows about!

I think in BC it is the municipality that controls regulations on secondary suites, at least in the Lower Mainland. Different cities will have different rules. I'm sure you can find someone who can answer questions over the phone from a city department.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
    BC I don't have a link but you can google it just by typing secondary suites! It may no be in your province! I have asked but nobody knows about!
    Are you in Surrey?

I find this. https://www.surrey.ca/files/Setting_...ronic_Copy.pdf

CHILD CARE FACILITIES FOR 8 CHILDREN OR LESS
    Licensed child care facilities, accommodating eight children or less, are permitted in any residential zone.
    In addition to the child care (with up to 8 children), someone must live in the residence.
    A child care facility can only be operated in a rented/occupied secondary suite in a single family dwelling if the secondary suite has a finalized building permit and the operator of the child care facility resides in the secondary suite.
    It also say Page 2 that in whole of BC, if have more than 3 child then must be licensed!

Provincial law requires all child care facilities serving 3 or more children to be licensed.

CHILD CARE LICENSING PROCESS
    1. If you will be caring for three or more children, who
    are not related to you by blood or marriage, you
    must have a community care facility licence.

Euphoric !
    Maybe you in CITY OF PORT COQUITLAM?

They have information on secondary suite that say :

CHILD CARE FACILITIES
    The zoning regulations do not permit a dwelling unit to have both a secondary suite and a child
    care facility. If you wish to operate a childcare facility in your home, you must remove the
    secondary suite. If you already operate a childcare facility at your home, you will not be
    able to apply for a Building Permit to create a secondary suite in the building.
    http://wcel.org/sites/default/files/...20Brochure.pdf

It would be really helpful to know which municipality you live in.

Euphoric !
    North Vancouver have same rule with no secondary suite if you have daycare.

Can I install a secondary suite?
    You can install a new secondary suite in your single family home, unless:

you do not live in the house
    you plan to build it in an accessory building or parking structure
    there is already an existing suite in your home (a maximum of 1 suite is allowed)
    you have boarders or lodgers
    you have a home occupation (home-based business), such as an office or daycare
    you want it to be larger than 90m2 (968 sq ft) or 40% of your residential floor space

https://www.dnv.org/property-and-dev...e-family-homes

This is helpful this is my municipality thanks Port Coquitlam

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littlefish For This Useful Post: