Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Received deposit BUT waiting on signed contract - argh

Growing a little frustrated and wanted to pick your brain on my next step. Canada Day, I got a message from a mom I met with few months back who wanted to sign on but didn't have the part time availabilty. She reached out again and I said yes to signing on her baby for September. I was leaving the week of July 4 to the cottage and she took the long weekend to read my handbook etc. After that weekend she said she would send me the deposit and drop off the signed contract while I was away. Its been a week since I got home and nothing. I reached out last Friday and she said "ran out of ink will drop it off tonight" so Monday I follow up (facebook) she read it and hasnt replied nor dropped it off. I have a depost with no contract as she sent the e transer while I was away. Should I send a message (again) saying do you want it or not? I mean I have turned away a family since then expecting this to be official. Im so annoyed by the lack of communication I want to give back her deposit and say "sorry" thoughts?

Expansive...
    I take the deposit immediately, and give 1 week to fill out the contract and return it. Keep interviewing until you have the contract in hand.

Euphoric !
    I am not too worried about the contract if I have money already. It's up to you. Maybe give her a date you want it returned by

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Since you turning away client and worried they might change mind and just accept lost deposit, I would send message.

Just say that you are turning away business and need the signed contract as well as deposit which you already had by set date or have to presume they changed mind. That you need to have both or will have to offer place to someone else since you unsure if they coming or not.

Expansive...
    the delay and the excuses would make anyone stop and think that they have changed their mind

it is good to inform them that you need both before you go with a new client- it may make them rush the contract to you, it is annoying of a job half done

Euphoric !
    Curious how this would work for you ladies. If she has the money but no contract and family tells her 2 days before start date they changed their mind do they just forfeit their deposit or do they owe more? If she has both money and contract signed and same thing happens does it change things?

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Curious how this would work for you ladies. If she has the money but no contract and family tells her 2 days before start date they changed their mind do they just forfeit their deposit or do they owe more? If she has both money and contract signed and same thing happens does it change things?
    Technically, its kind of a grey area depending on how we wanted to go about it. Since she hasn't actually signed and delivered the contract she hasn't signed off on the fact that the deposit is non-refundable, therefor, I would be inclided to return it back (unless of course, I had something in writing: email or text where she had acknowledged that this was non-refundable which in my case there was not).

This is exactly why I added to my contract that there space would not be held or secure without BOTH contract and deposit which is to be delivered to me within 3 days. I was away for one week and accepted the etransfer with the expectation of it being in my mailbox upon my return. Having said that, in future I will really be enforcing that all documents including deposit are at the same time! UPDATE: I did email to remind her that her spot wasn't fully secure without the contract and that if I didn't hear back and have the contract by end of day today, I would have to assume she was no longer needing the space and I WOULD be returning the deposit (crappy!) but fortunately, that lit the fire and it was dropped off within the hour of the message

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fireyesblue For This Useful Post:

Also, I added to my handbook recently, that if they chose to not start care they forfeit their deposit and any other monies pay. That this was now a "holding fee" and care must commence in order for it to be applied. I have been burned a few times. Signed contract and deposit... they forfeit should the opt to not start care.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fireyesblue For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thanks for the update
    I hope she does not need a fire lit every pay day LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I require both to hold a place and that information given in e-mail when contract sent.

But, if I ever was in this situation, I would keep deposit. As soon as I have deposit, I always provide receipt. If in person, receipt given immediate. If deposit come from EMT, then receipt scanned and sent electronically. I not take cheque.

On receipt, I state money is "Non-refundable fee to enrol *child name* in daycare to start no later than *start date*". Because it not deposit for child care service, and it clear it not for a service, if they cancel when no service given, I not have refund. Enrolment has happen before child comes and if the change mind, they lose money.

They not owe more. They just lose what paid.