Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions

Suggestions

I need some advice with a little boy I have had for over 6 months. He just turned 3. He is non-verbal but I got mom and dad to take him to speech pathologist. He has no social skills, he doesn't play with toys. I have taught him how to take off and put on his coat, pants and shoes. In the past few week he refuses to even try and and do those things. If I try and help he fights to do it his way and refuses to listen. He spends most of his days standing in the same spots inside and out. I have tried many ways to get him involved in activities or independent play but he has no interest. Most kids will learn from each other but he doesn't for example everyone is coming for lunch and he turns the other way. He doesn't know the difference between yes and no he nods yes to everything. Mom and Dad say they have had him tested for delays and doctors say they don't see anything abnormal the doctors say he is very shy. I know part of the problem is Mom and Dad they still carry him to the car at the end of the day because he doesn't listen to them and runs into the street. If I compared him to a year and half year old that year and half year old has by past him developmentally. Physically he walks like he has just started walking. I don't know what to do to get him to succeed and I don't know how to help any suggestions would be appreciated.

Euphoric !
    Are you confident that the parents actually had his doctor assess him for delays? I see a whole lot of red flags and my first thought would be they just told you what you wanted to hear to get you off their back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Shy
    certainly sounds like there is something else going on, a delay of some sort ... sounds like you are doing what you can but we are not miracle workers... good luck with him!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to planet.caravan67 For This Useful Post:

That is my thought too - just told me what I wanted to hear.

Euphoric !
    A lot of assessment at a young age is done through parent questionnaires and conversation. If the parents are downplaying what they see (on purpose or through denial) then a doctor may very well say the child is shy. Because the doctor is not seeing the child perform the tasks but the parent is saying that the child does do it at home.

It is up to the parent to give a clear, accurate, unbiased assessment to the medical professionals when help is needed. Unfortunately a LOT of parents are in denial and are not able to do this...which hinders an accurate assessment.

You need to make a call. Are you willing/able to keep this child on and continue as is? It is NOT your job to 'fix' the child or make the parents see the light. You merely need to provide loving care and as many opportunities as you can without taking on an extra burden. Should you want to go above and beyond what is part of your job you certainly can and the child will benefit but ultimately it is on the parents to acknowledge your concerns an find extra supports to aid the child along.

A child as you describe above would benefit from being in a daycare center where there are multiple staff members and more resources to not only support his higher needs but to help inform and educate the parents. You are on person, with many daycare children...your time and resources are limited.

Starting to feel at home...
    Maybe have a meeting with parents-express your concern, and recommend they get a referral to early intervention (not sure of your province, that's the first step for full screening in NS). If they deny a problem, recommend they start looking at larger centres with specially trained staff. To handle these behaviours. I agree it's not your child to fix. It's sad, but you may need to term if they aren't trying to help on their end. Maybe when a new place says the same thing they'll get help?

Expansive...
    I am concerned that the child may be delayed
    my concern is autism and when you said that compared to last year the child seemed better well with autism it can happen around a year and a half and age 2 - the child may seem fine and then just change and not socialize and not even make eye contact. Does the child make eye contact with you when you are talking to him?