Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Need advice about 3 yr olds!!!!

Please help!!! I'm at my wits end with these 3 yr olds

I have 4 of them at the moment and I don't know what it is about this age, but they are driving me nuts! It seems they were utter angels at 2 yrs and then BAM!!! they turn on me!
    The problems are: constant tattling, taking toys from one another, not listening and the whining....oh the whining!!!
    I've tried timeouts for taking toys etc, separating them, encouraging cooperation, you name it and I've tried it....I don't know what to do!

Any advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by mattsmom; 07-15-2016 at 02:40 PM.

They always say trying threes is way worst then terrible twos. And I agree. Lol. Only advice I have is time outs time outs time outs. Good luck!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Survive until the end of the day and than drink a bottle of wine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Personally, I prefer the term threenager. Sums up the "attitude" that some seem to develop at 3.

When this type of conflict comes up, I have the kids involved come to the kitchen table and sit to "work it out." The first few times, I will facilitate the interactions, but basically, I want them sitting, and talking to each other. They aren't to tell me what they want, or what happened, they have to work it out between themselves. "Tell her why you are upset." "Decide between the 2 of you who will play with the toy." When they are sitting at the table, they are looking at each other but can't really get physical because there is a table in between them. I leave it up to them to decide when they are ready to go back to play, because it isn't a time out. If they go right back to fighting, then they come right back to the table. After awhile of this, they will do it on their own. And I will only intervene when there is a lie, or someone says something unkind or hurtful. "I'm not your friend anymore." is not allowed.

Euphoric !
    I have a 3 year old that is so whiny right now! He cries when he doesn't get his way and it drives me crazy. I have had him since he was 10 months old. I too don't know what to do.

Euphoric !
    They are well aware of what they are doing and sometimes the infractions are not nearly as severe as the child would make you think and they are done just to annoy and get the other child in trouble. Try putting both in time out for some things and see if it helps - goading another child to misbehave gets punished too this way.