Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

After hours care... need answer quick!

Hello, I have just set up an interview with someone today last minute, they need care 2 days a week from 3-10pm and other days regular hrs. my regular hours are 7-6 however I am having a hard time filling a spot and am willing to consider taking this client despite being outside business hours, my only question is how much would you charge? for under 2 (which child is) I am charging $40 a day, I was thinking $50 for this one does this sound fair? I would appreciate some advice, I have the interview in 2hrs!

UPDATE
    I told them on the phone I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it and would have to speak with my husband before hand (you know, because I am not sure if he is going to be ok with an extra baby around the house when it's also his time off) anyhow they were able to come up a solution to their schedule and made 7pm the latest, however in my contract my close time is 5:30, they said drop off would be the earliest 2pm and latest 3pm. I don't really like those hours because from 1:30 to 3:30 is nap time and that is essentially my break and when I am able to do some stuff around the house, get dinner started, clean up from the morning, etc... however I really am quite in need of the money at the moment...

How much would you charge for such little hrs and late pick up? they asked if I do hourly rate, I did do it in the past but didn't like it and dodn't want to do it again

UPDATE 2
    I am thinking $25 flat rate for 4hrs or less, and an additional $5 for every half hr after 6pm. that way it can be a little worth my while.... even if they left baby from 2pm the earliest time to 7pm the latest time they would still at most pay $35...
    Last edited by planet.caravan67; 07-21-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Euphoric !
    Sorry, too late but I'd say that's too low. After hours care is going to be very draining on you! By the time they get picked up and you "unwind" and get to bed and than up again for 7am....I wouldn't like that.

What did you decide?

Outgoing
    I agree, that's too low. Think about it this way. When you have 4 other kids at the same time, your hourly wage is a total from everyone's daily fee. So now you're working overtime, and you're doing it for an extra 10 per day. So from 6-10, you're making less than $3/hr, by the time you feed them, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I told them on the phone I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it and would have to speak with my husband before hand (you know, because I am not sure if he is going to be ok with an extra baby around the house when it's also his time off) anyhow they were able to come up a solution to their schedule and made 7pm the latest, however in my contract my close time is 5:30, they said drop off would be the earliest 2pm and latest 3pm. I don't really like those hours because from 1:30 to 3:30 is nap time and that is essentially my break and when I am able to do some stuff around the house, get dinner started, clean up from the morning, etc... however I really am quite in need of the money at the moment...

How much would you charge for such little hrs and late pick up? they asked if I do hourly rate, I did do it in the past but didn't like it and dodn't want to do it again

Shy
    no food included, this child is sensitive to dairy and eggs, so I don't want to risk it

If your normal rate is 40$ then from 2-7 for those 5 hrs and being 1.5hrs late I'd do 50$ The same if drop off is 3pm

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by planet.caravan67 View Post
    how much would you charge? for under 2 (which child is) I am charging $40 a day, I was thinking $50 for this one does this sound fair? I would appreciate some advice, I have the interview in 2hrs!
    I think too low. This not about doing them favour, it about being fairly compensate for your time. Working to 10pm taking your personal time and because it after hour, it not a time when client benefit from group care rate because from 6pm on, you working exclusively for them.

I would charge normal daily rate and then $10 an hour after hours.

Maybe sound like lot but you lose your evening and you working a 15 hour day. You deserve be paid for it.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by planet.caravan67 View Post

I just reading other post now.

I agree - I would not do either. They coming at time not convenient to your program, in middle of nap time, asked for 10pm but now found solution after 7pm, and the child has allergies/food issue. I not think it good fit for you based on comments.

Shy
    I am thinking $25 flat rate for 4hrs or less, and an additional $5 for every half hr after 6pm. that way it can be a little worth my while.... even if they left baby from 2pm the earliest time to 7pm the latest time they would still at most pay $35...

Euphoric !
    This (under age 2) child will be at your home from 3-10pm. Which means they take a full time day spot. So they would have to pay the day fee ($40) plus an additional hourly fee for your hours after closing. So I would charge $40 + $40 (4x10).

BUT...I would consider the fact this child is coming 2 days a week but pretty much making your under age 2 spot for the full week unusable by another family. So, if you REALLY want to move ahead with this I would strongly consider charging a lot more for potential lost wages for being unable to fill a full time spot they are potentially making an un-fillable part time spot.

All that said...I would NOT consider this if I was already working 7-6pm.