Hello all!

I'm new to the forum, and hoping to get some insight and advice on what type of child care is suitable for me.

A little about myself and my situation - I've been a SAHM to a 5yo and 2.5yo. I just got a much needed job that starts in a little less than a month. Full time, but it's only a 3month contract (with high likelihood of extension), and the hours are 10am-6pm. With travel time, I'd probably be home close to 7pm.

I'm not sure where to start looking. My 5yo will be in full day kindergarten, but I will need someone for after school (which includes either pick up at her school or pick up from the school bus). And of course full time care for my 2.5yo. Home care, centres, nanny..... So far most, if not all, of the home daycares and centres that I've seen only go to 6pm latest. And with me getting home at 7pm, I would hope my provider could give them dinner... Oh, and my husband doesn't leave for work until 11:00am, so the 2.5yo can start his day later, in case there is a problem with too many hours for the day. Is my only option a private nanny? Does anyone know how much a nanny would cost?

Also, since I've only got a 3 month contract for now, would providers be ok with that, and let me renew like every 3 months, or however my contract goes? One of the reasons I'm taking this job, is because it's with the federal gov't, which would be great for benefits and stability, and the manager I interviewed with told me a few times that there is a high chance that I would be renewed, and I know someone who works there now that has been made permanent in under a year. We have a small takeout that my DH is running, but finances are getting strained on one income.

I know this has been long and kind of rambling, but if anyone can help me figure out what type of care I should be focused on finding, that would be great!! Thank you in advance