Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    if you are happy with her as a neighbour and as person running a daycare close by then just talk to her as a friend and be honest and just say you did not expect the 2 children to give their notice and you are worried about finding 2 or 3 new kids for Sept and see what she says.......you never know she may help you fill your spots as I have a few friends near by and we help each other out when spots are available

Expansive...
    if the Mom of the 2 kids and your helper are friends outside of your daycare then it is sort of normal that they would move the kids to the new daycare

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Saje View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out the best way to handle it -- because it does need to be handled -- so that no feelings are hurt and we are on the same page for the remainder of our time together.

The way I see it, my choices are:
    1. Gently let her go, stating that I feel we are in a conflict and I want to give her space to build her business without either of us feeling like we are stepping on the other's toes.

2. Or I could talk to her and see if it developed organically and she wasn't actively trying to take my clients. That does matter to me. These women know each other outside of my centre and it's possible, if not likely, that they just struck up a conversation and the mom felt this would work out best for her. That's cool and, of course, her right. Family first. But if she was pursuing them, that's less cool and I don't want to have her in my centre for the rest of the summer while I fill my empty spots and she fills hers. Awkward.

Right now, I'm uncomfortable trying to fill those spots when she is working and that's not acceptable. So, I either need to address it directly so we are on the same page or let her go.

This is not going to end badly. Her and I are both better than that. I can see into her backyard from my deck. We are always going to work together in some way and plan on having scheduled play dates at the playground near us to let the children interact. She plans on transitioning to a preschool in a year and I'll likely walk some of my kids over to her centre for their preschool time.

Also, don't forget that there is a child here that trusts her and she's made excellent progress with him. I'd like to see him get another month with her so he can continue to grow. He really responds to consistency. It's not all about the backend of the business.

A non-compete clause is impossible in a town this size and would actually not be fair to our community that desperately needs childcare providers. The clause and contract are irrelevant. Even if I could go back in time, I wouldn't use one. It's great she's opening up here and I look forward to working with her more. I've encouraged her to open a daycare since I met her and did not mind her buying a home so close to me. Even more so, I'm excited about having someone I like as a neighbour. I just don't know how to proceed with the remainder of the summer.
    I still think you let it go.

Why would dismiss her? She do no wrong. You encourage her approach one family. You not tell her that the only one. It seem like you gave green light and now regret. That not on her. That on you to learn from. I would be careful about dismissal, you might leave self in situation of accountability with Labour Standard.

Yes, might have developed organically - but honestly, none of your business how it not really matter. It not going change outcome.