Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Extended hours- What to charge?

Hi! I charge the standard $1/min. for late parents after 6pm. I have one mum who goes to school and has to come around 6:30/45pm 3 days a week starting in Sept. to pick up her kid. My question is: should I charge her the same late fee of $1.00/min. or should I try to negotiate with her. I extended my morning hours from 8am to 7am and charged her a flat fee of $15/day extra. But this is different. I have my own 4 year old daughter and am super busy at 6pm: grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, appointments, classes- you guys know!). This mum expects me to charge the same $15 flat fee. What should I charge her??

Is she still needing the extra hour in the morning as well?

No, she just wants the evening hours extended.

For me : She will be late. Doesn't matter that she has given me the heads up. She needs care outside of my business hours, so she needs to pay accordingly. My late fee is $1.00/min up until the time I close the door behind them (not when they arrive).

Your time and your families time is very valuable. I wouldn't take less then $20/day flat rate ($20 x 3 = $60 added to each weekly tuition payment) Come 6pm you will keep her safe, but also get on with your life. Make/eat dinner, do dishes etc. Let her watch tv or play on her own.

I have two sets of hours reg. and extended. My reg or 8am - 5pm my extended or Starting at 7:30am and/or picking up at 5:30. If they want care before or after these times they need to find another caregiver. Between 7:30-8:00 and 5:00-5:30 I let them watch tv, play on there own. I keep them safe, but I also have my own family to care for, so I make/eat dinner, and do other non-daycare stuff.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

If you charge $1 a minute after hours for other families, I'd charge her the same. Although for me, it would be a straight-out 'no' since I won't accept any families that can't pick up by my closing time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lemondrop For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    That's a long day. Are you expected to provide dinner to that child too? That's your family time. Extended mornings are one thing, as they don't interfere too much with errands/classes etc, but evenings are dinner/errands/kids activities/bath time etc. My fees are $20 per each 1/2 hr late or early, so don't sell yourself short. $15 is not worth it! I personally feel like my time after hours is MY time...so it wouldn't be a consideration for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    For me : She will be late. Doesn't matter that she has given me the heads up. She needs care outside of my business hours, so she needs to pay accordingly. My late fee is $1.00/min up until the time I close the door behind them (not when they arrive).

Your time and your families time is very valuable. I wouldn't take less then $20/day flat rate ($20 x 3 = $60 added to each weekly tuition payment) Come 6pm you will keep her safe, but also get on with your life. Make/eat dinner, do dishes etc. Let her watch tv or play on her own.

I have two sets of hours reg. and extended. My reg or 8am - 5pm my extended or Starting at 7:30am and/or picking up at 5:30. If they want care before or after these times they need to find another caregiver. Between 7:30-8:00 and 5:00-5:30 I let them watch tv, play on there own. I keep them safe, but I also have my own family to care for, so I make/eat dinner, and do other non-daycare stuff.
    Thanks for the support- I needed that! I was soooo stressed out yesterday thinking about what to do. I'm taking the advice and charging her an extra $30/day flat rate. The child is pretty chill, but it's the mom whose driving me nuts with all these extra demands. I asked her today if her husband can pick her up and it was a no- so I asked what he does. And she said he's "self employed" as a handyman. Wait. Doesn't self-employed mean you can make your own hours? Well, I hope she accepts this rate. I have already given her a $10/day discount because she's a student, so she'll only be paying a slightly higher fee than what I charge normally for new infants.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearlessbaby For This Useful Post:

Oh and I didn't mention that she's one of my only 2 dck now. So I need to keep her!! (and she's turning 2 on Monday) I find it so hard nowadays to find kids over 2 with that rule - no more than 2 under 2. Wish me luck!

Euphoric !
    My late collect fees is $1 a minute too. I do not extend hours in evening by arrangement as my close time is not negotiable so I would not consider someone planning to pick up 45 mins late. They need go elsewhere.

I have two client who come 30 mins before regular opening. One is on old agreement where they must pick up 30 mins before regular close time and no extra charge. I would not do more than 30 mins early. Other client who come 30 mins early not able to pick up early so they pay extra $10 per day because it was agreed to when they contracted.