Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Half days vs full days for flexible part-timers

The father of a 2 year old daycare girl that I've only had for three months informed me today that he was laid off from his job. He's obviously feeling a lot of emotions about it all. He said that he is hoping to find a new job quickly and therefore would like to keep and pay for the full-time spot. He also likes the socialization and structure that comes from her being in daycare. He asked if I have a suggestion for how often she should come for the next while (until he finds a job) and on what days. She had a fairly hard adjustment to daycare, so he worries that it will be difficult for her to go back and forth between being at home with him and coming to daycare. He is also concerned that it will feel like we are starting all over again when she does eventually need to come full-time again. He wonders if sending her every morning and then picking her up after lunch (before I put the kids down) would be easier than sending her a couple full days a week? At least this way, she will learn that she still has to go to daycare each day. It's just not as long as she used to. I've never had any part-timers, so don't have much experience with this. What would you suggest?

Expansive...
    it may be better to do a morning program fro this particular child so she is settled in the routine of daycare also here in BC the parents can apply for subsidy which is Gov money to help with the cost of daycare when they need finance help so you could look into something like that because he may not know about it

Euphoric !
    First decide if you willing to do this. Although understand what he trying to do, effective he is finding ways to reduce his child care cost but where they space remains his. All time he telling you this short term, he is reserving full time place but attending and paying for part-time. You might be okay with this.

I only take FT but long time ago let parent drop to part-time when Dad laid off. It was meant to be for max of few month but Dad not get new job in that time and so at end of term ask for extension. I not able to fill empty day because understanding he intend take those day back short notice once have employ. It end up losing me lot of income and for me, I would not do again.

I have found come daily for shorter hours is easier on child than come full day only few time week. Some parent who phase in over long time do this and it work well because come here is part of daily routine and child not need reminding of rules after few days home. I had three parent do this recent months and prefer it to attendance 2-3 day week only.

For child, daily attend is better and for rest of group is more stable too. For your finance, you need decide if you willing to drop income knowing lost days/hours is on-going until new employ and unable to look for other and if are, I would draw new contact having firm time-line for how long you able absorb lost money.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    First decide if you willing to do this. Although understand what he trying to do, effective he is finding ways to reduce his child care cost but where they space remains his. All time he telling you this short term, he is reserving full time place but attending and paying for part-time. You might be okay with this.

I only take FT but long time ago let parent drop to part-time when Dad laid off. It was meant to be for max of few month but Dad not get new job in that time and so at end of term ask for extension. I not able to fill empty day because understanding he intend take those day back short notice once have employ. It end up losing me lot of income and for me, I would not do again.

I have found come daily for shorter hours is easier on child than come full day only few time week. Some parent who phase in over long time do this and it work well because come here is part of daily routine and child not need reminding of rules after few days home. I had three parent do this recent months and prefer it to attendance 2-3 day week only.

For child, daily attend is better and for rest of group is more stable too. For your finance, you need decide if you willing to drop income knowing lost days/hours is on-going until new employ and unable to look for other and if are, I would draw new contact having firm time-line for how long you able absorb lost money.
    Actually the parents of this child are going to continue to pay for a full-time spot, so I'm not losing any income. It's just that the father is understandably wanting to spending more time with his daughter seeing as he's at home. I admire him that he's even come to me to see what I think will work best for me and his daughter.

It sounds like (so far) that people think half-days are better?

Euphoric !
    In that case, yes, I find coming every day for shorter day, is better. That way child used to routine and other children used to her be there.

When child only come some day, other friendship in group stronger and it take longer for PT child be include in core group. It also hard for child remember different rule in daycare to home, and can take few hour to settle back in. Mon, Wed, Fri combination are worst. It give one day home, one day daycare, and child not know if come or going.

Expansive...
    [QUOTE=MommaL;84387]Actually the parents of this child are going to continue to pay for a full-time spot, so I'm not losing any income. It's just that the father is understandably wanting to spending more time with his daughter seeing as he's at home. I admire him that he's even come to me to see what I think will work best for me and his daughter.

Such a good Dad ........I hope he gets a new job soon!

Euphoric !
    There are benefits to both schedules IMO. Every day half day allows the child to stay in better routine but when they come back for full days, napping may be an issue? Full days with some days off would allow you a "break" or to go on outings. Honestly, I'd probably just tell the parent that whatever they want would be fine with me.

However, looking for a job can be time consuming and should be taking up a lot of the dads time. He'll be going to interviews throughout the day so maybe just staying full time every day (with the odd day spent with dad) might be best for everyone?

Expansive...
    yes I agree with 5 Lm as the Dad is looking for work he will need to go for interviews so staying full time will help him best and also the child will be use to the full time and not cry at nap time if he missed it and try to get back into the routine again

Expansive...
    just wondering if any parent in Ontario who loses their job can apply for some sort of fin help for daycare fees as EI won't be available in for 6 or 8 weeks - is it only Lic Daycares and not home daycares or can both apply for subsidy to help out the family and still get full daycarel fees ?