Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Epic Tantrums and Tired kids

Good morning. I need advice. I have a 3 yo DHG who comes exhausted daily. She has epic tantrums all day long over everything. She won't talk to me just grumts at me then whines. Sometimes these tantrums last an hour. Her mom told me that when she is tired she gets mean, this is when she hits, kicks and even bites. Mom doesn't nap her on weekends and I nap her. According to mom neither makes a difference. She doesn't sleep well at night, they fight to get her to bed by 10pm and as soon as they wake her in the morning she is having tantrums.

I find it hard to do anything with her. She will throw herself on the floor crying when we are out in public. I wanted to be an active dayhome this summer but find it impossible. I have given notice to the family (the older sister has these epic tantrums as well, just not as frequently). Any advice on getting through the remainder of the month. I am sad for my own 2 kids who are used to going to the splash park, library, playgrounds....etc.

thanks in advance ladies!

Euphoric !
    I would nap her first thing in the morning and see if that helps.

That isn't an option as I have 4 other active kids and one other napper. I won't split up the kids naps as it interferes in any activities that I try to do.

Maybe like 5LM said you should nap her first thing. I understand that you have 4 other active kids, but this is a temporary measure which may result in a much more positive environment for all. Even if you nap this child for 1 hour, it might make all the difference and you'd just have to chance your schedule for the other kids for just a few short weeks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Even 30-60 minutes can make a world of difference! I have done morning naps for kids in the past who behaved like this. I mean like right after drop off though! They're awake before we do morning snack so for me, it has never interfered with our daily activities.

I'd rather put off an outing (if even needed) by a short amount if time than not go out at all or go out with cranky kids....but that's just me

If you have other non-nappers, it may be best for her to morning nap, skip afternoon nap and then hopefully she's tired earlier in the night which would result in a better day for everyone! I completely understand wanting the same schedule for everyone as it's easiest for us but we have to remember not every child is the same and sometimes we have to rethink our schedules.

Jmo

Expansive...
    Try feeding her in the morning as she may be hungry then see if she needs a nap or not

I will try a short nap when she gets her in the morning and hold off her afternoon nap and see if things improve. Thanks ladies!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannie View Post
    I will try a short nap when she gets her in the morning and hold off her afternoon nap and see if things improve. Thanks ladies!
    I would put her down for 30min right when she arrives. Then put her down at regular time with all other kids. If she is truly sleep derived she will take a bit of time but will soon nap at both times. Then once she is fully rested and no longer totally sleep deprived drop that morning nap.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would still stick with afternoon nap

Euphoric !
    I give any child who still on 2 nap, a power nap on arrival. 30 min to 45 mins max then wake and get on with day. For sake of getting through month, you do what you need do.