Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Parent wanting me to release a child to someone they don't know?

Crazy day today and to top it all off one of my daycare Dad's called to say he is stuck in traffic and he is getting a friend to pick up his 2 year old. I asked if she knows them and he said "NO". I said that I would keep her until he comes then. He says she will be ok? I told him if there’s an issue with it than I'm not releasing her.

Like as if his 2 year old is going to be going home with a complete stranger, as if I would allow it to happen. The lady did end up coming to my door and I asked her if she knew her and she said no, I then asked if she had a car seat and she said no. I said sorry you made the trip but she will be waiting for her Dad.

Oh my goodness what is wrong with this world!

Outgoing
    Seriously, what is wrong with people these days? I would never expect my child to go anywhere with someone they didn't know, whether they were a friend of mine or not. And to show up without a car seat, really?? Glad you stuck to your guns!!

I wouldn't have released her either. Even IF a contact is listed on my paperwork (like a grandma) I will NOT release the child to the grandma if the parents didn't previously tell me she was picking up. And my reasoning for that is because crazy things happen in this world and in the relationships of these daycare families that we might not know about. SO......what if, let's say, a mom and dad were recently separated and I didn't know and the grandma shows up in an attempt to take the child due to custody issues etc etc. KWIM?

Just because you are listed as an emergency or "approved" person to pick up does NOT mean I will release a child to you unless the "normal parent(s)" that usually drop off or pick up give me a heads up about it.

These parents don't realize that although they might be miffed at us because we screwed up their plans or inconvenienced them what we are really doing is protecting their child.

Expansive...
    Judy- just a question, but I have had to have others pick up my children at school etc, on short notice due to medical emergencies requiring me to be in the hospital. The person doing the pick up is always someone the kids know, but how is that kind of situation handled?

Outgoing
    Here is another senerio, parents having custody issues that we don't know and one of them called you and told you that grandpa or grandma will pick the kids up? What can you do then? We can't really know can we unless we have been told?

I would realise the child only to people on the contract that parents put but would not realise them if that person hasn't got a car seat and would tell this to parents before signing the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Judy- just a question, but I have had to have others pick up my children at school etc, on short notice due to medical emergencies requiring me to be in the hospital. The person doing the pick up is always someone the kids know, but how is that kind of situation handled?
    It would have to be a pretty dire case where the parents were literally disabled to the point either they or their alternate contacts that are on my paperwork are also disabled. I ask for both parents AND at least two alternate contacts.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    It would have to be a pretty dire case where the parents were literally disabled to the point either they or their alternate contacts that are on my paperwork are also disabled. I ask for both parents AND at least two alternate contacts.
    Ohhhkay, I misunderstood you. Got it!

Euphoric !
    In my paperwork, I ask for the parents to list ALL people who have the ability to pick up their child(ren). If someone is not on the list, the child doesn't go with them. If I haven't been informed, the child doesn't go with them.
    I would rather keep the child with me (even if I was pissed off, lol) and ask the parent to pay the agreed upon late fee. That way I never have to deal with any kind of abduction or crazy issues!!
    PS> no carseat?? picking up a 2 yr old?? I am just shaking my head.

Euphoric !
    Depending on what the late fee is could be why the dad was desparate to find someone - anyone to pick up his child. Better to get the neighbour he barely knows to do it than to pay a dollar a minute for being late when he knows he is stuck in traffic at a point that would normally take him another 20 minutes to get there even without traffic. As we know money speaks to parents both in a good way and a bad way. Safety can trump cost. Many caregivers have a severe late penalty in place to deter lateness but sometimes it just can't be helped. I have a different rate if I get a call from a parent. I also know where each parent works, how far away it is and the route they need to take so if the radio which I have on near hometime for this reason says accident at intersection of or traffic backed up from X RD to Y Rd then I know that parent is going to be legitimately late as compared to late cause they stopped to do errands.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Depending on what the late fee is could be why the dad was desparate to find someone - anyone to pick up his child. Better to get the neighbour he barely knows to do it than to pay a dollar a minute for being late when he knows he is stuck in traffic at a point that would normally take him another 20 minutes to get there even without traffic. As we know money speaks to parents both in a good way and a bad way. Safety can trump cost. Many caregivers have a severe late penalty in place to deter lateness but sometimes it just can't be helped. I have a different rate if I get a call from a parent. I also know where each parent works, how far away it is and the route they need to take so if the radio which I have on near hometime for this reason says accident at intersection of or traffic backed up from X RD to Y Rd then I know that parent is going to be legitimately late as compared to late cause they stopped to do errands.
    Don't think so! Haven't charged them to date! He wasn't even late thats the weird thing! Also what is more important a few dollars or tramitizing your child and forcing them to go with a complete stranger?
    Last edited by Skysue; 12-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.