Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Question regarding mother scared of illness

This is anonymous post from one of the members:

Serious sickness
    It was suggested by a person to stay home and not do outings due to their child catching serious illnesses (expecting). I am not the stay at home type of caregiver. My daycare is full- 5- and I keep things as clean as I can. Having 2 of course where everything goes in the mouth. Two of my parents are expecting. Should I be staying home in respect and protection of the unborn?

Mama does this make any sense to you or do I need to add/change?Thanks

Expansive...
    In my opinion if the moms are that terrified they should keep the the kids home. Kids get sick. It is normal. It is part of building a healthy immune system.

Euphoric !
    If the mom is at home and so terrified of germs they should be keeping the children home with them. If they are still working then they need to realize that the chances of them coming into contact with something "serious" is more likely to happen at work or on the bus going to and from work or the grocery store or the doctor's office getting her child immunized against everything going or whatever. The child may come in contact with germs but in the grand scheme of things the chances of it being something that will be a danger to her is actually quite remote.

The caregiver has a responsibility and a right to conduct her program any way she wishes and it is the parent's responsibility to accept it or to move on. No way should the caregiver be forced to change. Now having said that there may be times when rethinking might be a good idea - deciding if that trip to the pond to play with frogs and turtles is necessary or at least giving the parent a heads up to plan to keep their child home that day.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    In my opinion if the moms are that terrified they should keep the the kids home. Kids get sick. It is normal. It is part of building a healthy immune system.
    Agreed.
    Don't change a thing. It is your business. They should have known that when they signed on.

I run a home daycare, have a 23mo and am 14 wks. I'm not afraid of my son or myself getting sick. That's life. I'm not gonna live in a bubble bc of "what ifs".
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    You have got to be kidding me !!
    They are more at risk of catching something at the grocery store or even in their own home than in ours.
    I seriously doubt they clean/disinfect as often and as thoroughly as we do.

Please don't ever let anyone change how you do your thing in your home.
    If they don't like how you run YOUR business they can keep their child home with them.

Euphoric !
    Why is it always the daycare's fault when a kid gets sick?? Do parents not realize that it's just as likely that the kid got sick because they were licking the WalMart shopping cart handle? Or because they had a sleepover at Gramma's?
    I also think that if mom is that worried, then multi-child care is not for that family. They need a nanny.
    Yes, children get sick due to the other kids around. But over time, it's not that bad. The immune system builds up, and they don't get sick that often anymore.

Euphoric !
    Children will get sick nonstop when they start JK & SK compared to the occasional sickness in a home daycare with only 5 children. You can't keep them in a bubble. However, I keep wipes wherever we go and wipe the children's hands a lot in summer after we leave the library, bus, playground or anywhere else they may have picked up lots of germs. I encourage the Moms to carry wipes and clean up their children after leaving shopping malls, etc., but I don't know if any of them do that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I just want to add that in my daycare we go outside every day possible unless it is pouring rain, a blizzard or way too humid. So about 95% of the year we are OUT! I have interviewed women who don't think that is good for children but they were not a good match for my daycare. Stand strong with your program, childrearing philosophies and beliefs!

Expansive...
    an update ladies:
    Sorry never mind my post I sent you the father said oh maybe it was a misunderstanding. He suggested that I not go out with the daycare due to sicknesses. I have 5 kids someone is always sick, give me a freakin break! So I asked his wife.....haha.... I'm assuming she reamed him because, he came back and said oh thats not what I meant, BS, she loves that her child goes to playgroup. Anyway bold!