Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Red face Term notice template

I have been reading the posts on this forum for about a year now and have really benefitted from the advise. I have one family that is a major thorn in the side for me but I have never been in the financial position to give them a "next". With that being said I have recently signed on two new families to start in the new year and I have two more appts this weekend and another family just contacted me last night inquiring about care to start in the summer so now I feel I am ready to give my problem family on of Judys "NEXT" .... I was wondering if someone could share a term form letter. Many thanks !

What problems are you having with them?? Anything?? Ate they FT or PT? Give me some info (or PM me if you are worried they might be surfing here) and I will help you out.

Short and to the point is usually best. I simply state the WHY, and then the last date of effective care followed by a 'if you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly" and leave it at that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

I'm in a very similar situation. How do you handle the problem of how much notice to give? I've given lots of notice in the past, and the parent's yanked the kids out of anger immediately. Then I was stuck with a decreased income until the next family was ready to start.
    I want to honour my contract, but I also feel really vunerable financially when I do so.
    Any thoughts?

When I decided to terminate a family, I sent the mother an email, then typed out a letter to give to her at pickup. I basically stated that "due to .........., I am no longer willing to provide care for your family. As per my contract, I will continue to accept DCK until you find alternate care arrangements, not exceeding a two week period. I hope that we can all move forward through this in a mature and mutually respectful way, and I wish you all the best in your future."

In my personal situation, I made it out so that it sounded like I felt like I was not able to meet the mother's perceived needs. This way, I think it softens the blow a bit, but that is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by amber View Post
    I'm in a very similar situation. How do you handle the problem of how much notice to give? I've given lots of notice in the past, and the parent's yanked the kids out of anger immediately. Then I was stuck with a decreased income until the next family was ready to start.
    I want to honour my contract, but I also feel really vunerable financially when I do so.
    Any thoughts?
    That should be included in your contract. Your notice period should be as laid out in your contract. The only exception (and this should also be in your contract) is immediate termination for violent behaviour, defamatory or beligirence from parents etc.

Euphoric !
    To solve the decreased income risk start advertising to fill the spot before you give the current family notice. Even if you interview there is usually a delay in the start time anyways and you would advertise with the idea of when you wanted the spot to be open and then give notice accordingly. Besides if there is no immediate replies to your ad you might want to weigh if there is a way to fix the current situation or if being down in the money is the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    To solve the decreased income risk start advertising to fill the spot before you give the current family notice. Even if you interview there is usually a delay in the start time anyways and you would advertise with the idea of when you wanted the spot to be open and then give notice accordingly. Besides if there is no immediate replies to your ad you might want to weigh if there is a way to fix the current situation or if being down in the money is the only option.
    YES!

When I have even an inkling that a termination notice might be coming down the line from me (or I suspect a family might be leaving) I start to advertise and interview right away. At least then I have gone that much further to getting another family lined up.

I was thinking that maybe I would start asking for 2 weeks up front as a "deposit" perhaps. That way the last two weeks are already paid for in advance (cash of course) sort of like paying first and last months "rent" type thing. Does that make sense? That way, if you terminate and they get angry and don't pay, they have already previously paid you! =)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMunchkins View Post
    I was thinking that maybe I would start asking for 2 weeks up front as a "deposit" perhaps. That way the last two weeks are already paid for in advance (cash of course) sort of like paying first and last months "rent" type thing. Does that make sense? That way, if you terminate and they get angry and don't pay, they have already previously paid you! =)
    LittleMunchkins, I do this with all my families. People expect it. At least, most people do.