Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contract woes

Shy

Contract woes

I have been running my HDC for over a year and a half, and it has definitely been on a learning curve.

So, I have a family for whom I have made many exceptions since they started with me. The contract they signed was in 2015 for half day care. They now want to move their child to full time care. We verbally agreed, and they were paying the new rate all summer (they were away for most of it though).

When I sent an "invoice" for September, the father emailed me saying that according to the handbook, the full time rate is xx (lower than I have been charging everyone else, as my rate went up in 2016).

So, what should I do: honour the old rate and raise the fee in the new year like my handbook stipulates? OR (I'm leaning towards this) state that the terms of our contract have changed, and make them sign a new for the new rate?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! I haven't been able to sleep because of this!

Euphoric !
    No. You tell him that handbook he has is rates prior to 2016, and like every other business, when cost increases so do fees. Let him know current rate, send new updated handbook and ask how they want proceed. Can tell him that you honoured old price when on half day and grandfather in on old rate but they now requesting contract change and so current rate will be applied.

Like anywhere else, if they not willing pay current rate, they welcome leave, and give notice.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Maybe also update handbook with reminder that periodically fee increase has happen and when it does, parent will be given 2 week notice of increases.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

JKR

Shy
    Thanks! Sometimes you just need someone to affirm your stance!

And my handbook states that fee increases happen for January first, with one month's notice. But this is a whole new contract.

Live and learn!

Euphoric !
    I would tell them that since they have changed their contract to full time that the new contract comes into effect. How come they didn't question this before paying the new rate all summer? You made a mistake by not getting new contract signed before they switched over. I would get them new contract and tell them this is the contract for full timers.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I sent them a new handbook and contract with the correct rate. He agreed with little protest. He has tried to "nickle and dime" me before, but this time I would not stand for it. I stood up for myself and am glad I did. I should be getting the signed new contract on Tuesday.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JKR For This Useful Post: